kiss

Deanna's thirteen when she asks permission to go over to Eric Conyers' house, and from the look on dad's face, she thinks he's about to explode. He tells her that Eric can come visit her, and only when I'm home, young lady, and don't let me catch you sneaking around, you understand? Her response is an earnest yessir as always, even as the sinking feeling takes over her stomach. She can't explain to dad that there's no way in hell she's inviting Eric over. He'd probably never want to talk to her again after seeing the state of their crappy apartment, especially with her little dork brother running all over the place and demanding they watch National Geographic.

For one of the first times in her life, she isn't an obedient daughter, and sneaks out on a rare night when dad and Sammy are both at home. She meets up with Eric at the local diner, and can't stop herself from ogling his dark, chocolaty eyes and easy smile. He pays for their cheeseburgers and shakes, and talks to Deanna like she's normal - like she's one of the girls from school who wears cute clothes and butterfly clips and doesn't have band aids covering thirty percent of her body. She really likes the way he stares at her blonde hair, and learns to flip it over her shoulder every few minutes or so. At the end of their dinner date, she thinks she's a little bit in love, and they end up sharing a clumsy kiss in the parking lot before he waves her goodbye.

The next day she doesn't go to school because dad's busted up his arm pretty badly, and he needs help parsing the details of a potential case. She only leaves to pick Sammy up from school, and when she comes back, dad is standing there, holding the phone in one hand.

"You got a call," he says.

Her stomach flips pleasantly before it's replaced by dread. "I did?"

"That Eric kid. You went out to see him, Deanna?" His face is etched out of stone, all hard lines and unnerving anger.

She endures the yelling stoically, of course she does, and when dad's picked up a new case the following week and they're back on the road, she doesn't complain about not getting to see the boy again.