White as Snow, Red as Blood

Red as Blood

 Prologue

“Father!” fire and blood was everywhere. Death, the smell of smoke and the sound of metal clanging against metal, the cries of pain and agonizing screams.

“Get my daughter out of here!” my father ordered, the guard tried to pry me away from him, but I clung to his clothes like a cat to fabric, “Father, no! I’m not leaving you!” I cried, he grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eye, his face was dripping with sweat his brown eyes looking into mine pleading, I could smell his breath on my face, which smelled of blood also, he caressed his hands around my face, tears streaming down my face, I gripped his wrists desperately trying to find comfort from them, he wiped them away, “Please, for me love. You are our last hope for us to live on. You are my only happiness in this world, I cannot allow you to fall with me.” I buried my face into his chest, “No! I won’t, I won’t!” I wailed, he hugged me, and put my red hood over my head, “Wear this always and you will be safe from harm. I promise, I will always protect you Freya.” then pushed me back, he turned his head away, “Take her away. Please.” He ordered again, before I could protest, the guard grabbed me and picked me up, and carried away, “No! NO! FATHER!” I screamed, struggling and kicking, he held me firmly in his grasp, I wailed out to him, but he remained turned away, his hand over his eyes, trying to hide his grief.

I was sitting in front of the guard, my red hood over my head and my messy black hair coving my eyes as the horse galloped through the dark, sinister, branches and twigs of the forbidden forest.

I looked behind me and saw shadow like horsemen galloping after us, my eyes widened as they gained up on us with unearthly speed, until finally they were level with us.

I looked to my side and I nearly shrieked with horror. The horseman and horse itself was made of shadow and smoke, the horse trailed its deathly toxin behind it, its eyes steaming red, the horseman wore armor of a knight, but it was also made of the deadly toxic smoke.

Out of nowhere, I heard a whizzing sound come from the other direction; the guard who was riding with me toppled off the horse, leaving me. The horse suddenly reared back, causing me to fall soon after.

I scrambled to my feet and saw the guard lying on the ground with an arrow in his chest. I wanted to scream, but no sound passed through my lips. I trembled with fear, afraid of my fate becoming like his.

“I see she lived…”I heard a cold, raspy, female voice. Was still trembling, but I looked up slowly, and I stopped breathing.

The Queen stood over me with a look of smug contempt in her glassy silver eyes. She was shrouded in a cloak made of raven feathers, and her midnight hair was down below her waist.

          Her shadow knights stood beside her, looming over me with a sinister aura. My lip quivered, my words stuck in my throat, “Y-you…” I whimpered.

She kneeled down and held my face with her thin, cold hand; I froze, she studied me intently, her silver eyes digging into me like daggers, “You have your fathers eyes…” she said softly with a hint of knowing in her dead eyes, then they flashed with hate, “But you look like your mother.” She said in disgust, she pulled her hand away, and looked away from me, “Take her back with me. I’ll make sure she lives to see the day I take her birthright…” the shadow knights obeyed without a word and took me away.

I was too afraid to do anything against her

…Step-mother.