Chapter 1: The Perfect Family

14 years ago

"Ashhh honey time for dinner." Mom said

I was playing with my Barbie dolls in my room that's when mom called me down for dinner. "Cominggg." I yelled out to her. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands.

After I did that I went downstairs to sit at the table with my family. We were eating mama's delicious soul food dinner platter. We had yams, greens, macaroni, baked beans, and ham. Daddy had made my favorite grape kool-aid. "Mommy my tooth is coming out, see." I said wiggling it.

"That means the tooth fairy 🧚🏽‍♀️ will come and l leave you a present as soon as it's out." Daddy said I smiled

"Okay kiddos time for bed." Mommy said

Mama tucked me into bed and daddy came in and they both kissed me goodnight. As soon as they left I crawled from under the covers and said my prayers.

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep, if I shall die before I wake, I pray the lord my soul to take, Amen."

After I prayed my tooth came out. I was so excited i ran out of my room to show Mommy and daddy but something was wrong. I looked through the railing of the stairs and Mommy and daddy and Carter were on their knees praying.

I was confused why were they praying without me. Mama was crying I thought prayer made us happy. Then a big scary man stood in-front of mama and daddy.

I didn't know what to do mama held carter so tight I could feel a sense of fear. Daddy looked back at me and put up his finger signaling me to be quiet and put up our secret code and what I need to do in case of emergency.

I crept into my closet and pulled out the little phone daddy gave me in case of emergency.

I dialed 911.

911: Emergency Dispatch

Ash: Help there is a big scary man in our house he has my mommy ,daddy and brother

911: Where are you? How old are you little girl

Ash: I'm 8 years old, our address is 50825 Cherry-hill lane

9:11: Stay put emergency dispatchers are on their way

Ash: Hurry please!!

I hung up the phone and took my place back at the stair railing. Daddy felt my presence and I signaled him the thumbs up with tears trickling down my face.

"Please, well give you anything you want please don't hurt my family." I see daddy begging

The man showed no mercy he shot daddy first. I jumped back in fear. Mama and carter screamed and then "Boom , Boom." It happened again and mama and carter were leaned over I screamed so loud.

The intruder looked me Straight in the eyes. He was beginning to walk towards the stairs but soon police sirens were nearby.

He ran out and I walked down the stairs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The police came storming in the door.

They were too late. For me to be 8 years old I was smart and matured early. Daddy kept me prepared for situations like these.

He believed that anything could happen. But it always happens to the good people.

I couldn't feel anything. I felt like from that moment on my whole world fell apart. "Sweetie come with us." The officer said I stood up not being able to talk. They took me outside and put me into the car and as we were driving away they were putting yellow tape on our loving home. Neighbors were outside scared