Augustin (Michel Jean) Gunther "Martinez"

SPOILER ALERT

-Open For Roleplay-

Birth Date
September 14th, 1760

Who is he?

     He was born in a wealthy family. His father, Alphonse, was an ex-convict, but ran away to northern France after his release, fearing the judgement of loved ones. He managed to earn respect by his great amount of money, which he inherited from his deceased parents. Augustin often watched Galleys and other ships with his father, who did this to get over the things he saw and did in prison. Augustin's brother, Émilien, often comes with them. He has a happy childhood, in which no very important things happened.
      His teenage years, however, were a very dark time. He wasn't able to get a job, but instead started drawing. He did not earn much money with this, but it was enough for him. One day, however, he witnessed a brutal murder. He was sixteen then. Even though the murdered woman couldn't be saved, he stayed with her untill she died. A few other people saw it happen. Augustin, when being seen by a police officer, got arrested and sentenced life imprisonment at the Bagne de Brest. At his arrival, he gets branded. However, Augustin resisted, but falls into a fire doing so. His entire upper body gets burned, and the guard keeps him from getting up by pressing his left eye with a red-hot iron. This results in a TFP around his eye, as well as one on his burnt right shoulder. He remains half-blind and bald after the incident. Afterwards, he doesn't speak to anyone, except when ordered to, but even then he speaks half sentences, or even single words. He hides away from others as much as possible, but has to work every day.
     Some weeks after his seventeenth birthday, and almost two years after his arrest, he gets proven innocent, and is allowed to return home. However, at his return, Augustin's father gets arrested for the murder instead. He was, in fact, guilty. His own mind had finally convinced him it was wrong to let his son suffer in his place. After Alphonse is arrested, Augustin gets thrown out of his own house by his mother, who is frightened of the boy's appearance.
     Augustin runs away to Paris, hoping for a better life there. He starts begging, but rarely gets anything. At one time, he got a cloak which covered his face in shadows, and wore it ever since. Sometimes he got a little food or money, but only from people who couldn't see him. Besides from his usual misery, he also had panick attacks almost every night. More than once he tried to escape life, but managed to survive every time.

   At age twenty, he finally managed to forgive his mother, and returns to Saint-Brieuc to try and return home. His mother denied him. She told him she "wouldn't be able to live with a silent monster in her house". So again, he got hurt by his mother. Seeing no other option, he went to the beach, attached stones to his legs and walked into the ocean. Then, a stranger called out to him, and dragged him out of the ocean. Augustin still doesn't talk, but turned away from the man instead. Upon seeing Augustin's face, he didn't turn away, instead asks him to come live with him. Augustin hesitates, fearing the other might hurt him, but decides to come anyways. For many years, he kept living in the bookshop, and learned how to write. Augustin became famous for his books, and people knew him as "l'auteur sans visage", the faceless author. He eventually, at age twenty-four, married the shopowner's daughter.
     Alphonse, in the mean time, managed to escape the Bagne de Brest. Since then, a lot of murders had been committed in Saint-Brieuc. Deeply rotten by the years of hard labour, he decides to have revenge on Augustin, who, in his eyes, caused all his suffering. By much manipulation, he gets his son right where he wants. It doesn't take him long to get Augustin to commit murder as well. Anaïs, Augustin's wife, witnessed it. It was already hard for her to live with Augustin, who rarely spoke, but often screamed in sudden pain by hallucinations, and still frightened her every once in a while, but now he had committed murder, it was too much for her. She committed suicide, while being eight months pregnant.
     Augustin got a life sentence. His brother, who had left for the army when Augustin was only fourteen, hadn't seen his brother all that time. When Augustin arrived in the Bagne de Brest, he had already been working there for ten years. Upon realising the new inmate is his brother, and after learning his crimes, he decided to make him pay. He's disgusted of the fact his both father and brother had killed people, and tortures Augustin to the point he's completely blind and handless.
     Augustin's final torture session was on Christmas day, 1788. He died at age 28.