Iris

The falling leaves tattooed down my arm have always been a puzzle to me. There are a lot of things I don't know about myself. I don't know how old I am, what my name is, or, most of all, who I really am. All of the scientists call me myst, short for mystery. For as long as I can remember I've been locked in this science facility. A place that has never been friendly. Scientists only use me to preform tests or research on. I'm not special, just crazy.

My room is completely white. White walls, white floor, white furniture, white facilities. Mirrors and windows are a luxury not granted. Not to someone as psychotic as me. But they do give me drawing books and pencils. In another life I would have been a very successful artist. In a way I use the drawings as a sort of diary. I put my deepest thoughts and wishes into each and every drawing I do.

They tell me when I was 14 I killed my family and wrote "THERE IS NO PLACE LEFT TO HIDE" on a wall in blood. But I have no memories before the facility.

Today is a special day because the guards have decided to take me outside. Sadly I only realize this after I have started a new drawing. When I was first sent to the facility, by my oldest sister who hadn't lived with us at the time of the disaster, they took me out at least once a week. Now it seems like it's been ages.

"Eat fast." Says a firm voice as a tray drops into my food slot. This startles me so bad I jump from my drawing desk within a second. I get the same breakfast as every other morning; stale toast and overly sweet strawberry jam. I'm too nervous to eat anything so I place the bread on my desk for later, even though I know it will be gone, and place the tray back into its slot. A moment later I listen as the guard opens the door. The man who comes through the door is not my regular guard. He is tall and well-built with hair as black as a raven and skin as pale as snow. The most startling thing about him is his eyes, silver so bright; it looks like a freshly polished blade. I can barely stand to look him directly in the eye.

"Show me your arm." Is all he says with his mysterious voice that hides many secrets. I lift my sleeve to reveal a bar code burned into my skin long ago with little tracking chips and the numbers 5 2 3 7 under it. One day I'll find out what they mean. He scans it and turns without saying a word. I basically have to run to keep up with his normal pace, one of his steps are the equivalent to five of mine. By the time we reach the last hallway, I'm practically panting.

"Sir? May I ask you a question?" I ask him out of breath.

"What is it?" He replies without looking back.

"What is your name?" I can see his shoulders jerk with surprise.

"Aiden." He whispers almost so softly I can't hear. That's the last thing he says before we reach the metal door leading to the outside. "Now, I want you to prepare yourself. A lot has changed since anyone took you out last. Be ready to see some changes." He scans his card and the door clicks open slowly.

As my eyes adjust to the different lighting, I realize what he meant. The grass has turned brown and crisp with death, the sky black and grey with smog. No birds sing, or bees buzz. I run to the middle of the courtyard and survey the rest of the area. A new concrete wall was put in with barbed wires on top. Every hundred meters there is a guard tower with military grade weapons stationed. Hundreds of guards patrol the rest of the courtyard. All of this at once is too much to handle. My breathing gets tight and I start to see black dots. My heart skips to many beats as I hear sir rushing towards me saying myst over and over again, practically pleading at me, but I drop to my knees and everything goes black.