The Lying Game (A Sirius Black Marauder's One-shot)

"You’re nice.”

“You’re sweet.”

“You’re very funny.”

“You’re absolutely smart.”

”You NEVER have a big ego.”

“Connor Maverick definitely loves you.”

“Oy, that was WAY out of line, Black!”

“Was not! You know, I was right!!”

“Take it back, you git!!”

James Potter, Remus J. Lupin and Peter Pettigrew all sighed simultaneously. They had been listening to this rant go on and on for two hours now. Just about the time everyone had come back from the last class of the week and Sirius Black had decided to piss off Jaspin Whithers by setting a bunch load of dung bombs off in her pocket WHILE she confessed her feelings to the boy she liked – Connor Maverick.

She chased Black all around the grounds of Hogwarts, flapping her wand after him while it shot out hexes and jinxes she never should’ve known about. Sirius enjoyed it, Jaspin hated it. To prevent them from hurting another, Remus stepped in, broke off the fight and taught them the Lying Game.

So, what was the Lying Game?

Well, to put it simply…it’s a game where you lie. (Dur!) And to put it more sophisticatedly, it was the game Remus had taught the Marauders to play when they all met in their first year. The Marauders weren’t always a happy group, so when they got into fights – they really got into fights. But anyway, according to Remus, the Lying Game is where you get to vent off your frustration by telling the person a lie, which is the exact opposite of what you mean.

For example, if you say: “You are the prettiest person I have ever seen!!”

Then it simply translates to: “You have got to be the fattest cow I’ve ever laid eyes on!!”

Validation of the lines may vary depending on the person and who is playing. Comments about private matters and personal secrets are off record and illegal. If you break the rules, you owe the person a favor. And it’s meant to make all the players happy – one side was getting the compliment while the other secretly got away with insulting them. That was the catch too: You could never announce when you’re playing it; the other person has to figure it out by themselves. Once they do, it should be fine from there.

If they haven’t caught on, and the game has finished, they can owe you favors.

It was supposed to be a fun game. But in the case of Black and Whithers, it was an all-out war.

JASPIN WHITHER'S POINT OF VIEW...

I threw myself on to my feet and launched a textbook right at his head. Sirius simply evaded it by leaning back on the couch in a leisurely manner, never scared, never terrified. It irritated me. A copy of Goshawks Guide to Herbology sailed harmlessly over him and hit James square on the head.

“Ow! Watch it, Jaspin!” He said, rubbing the sore spot on the back of his head and picking up my textbook.

Peter looked horrified as if I’d just committed a first-class felony and Remus seemed to be slightly irritated at our irrational behavior. Nonetheless, he just gave me that saddening fatherly look he gave that always said: ‘I know you could do better, Jaspin.’

Pfft.

Yeah, right.

After being my neighbor and childhood friend, you’d think he’d known better. But I don’t blame him. My fights with Sirius were getting tiring – even for me. Things around us had been tense lately and he’s been really mean. I just didn’t get him anymore.