Chapter 1: Mama a Junkie

It's the first day of my senior year and I couldn't be happier. I'm so ready to graduate and get out my mom's house. Then maybe after I move out, we could actually get along. I can't stand her, yet I love her to death. It's just sometimes, I wonder why I love her when she doesn't even love herself. She's a drug addict, but she's all I've had since my dad got killed when I was ten. We don't have any family out here since my mom decided to move all the way from Atlanta to California when I was born due to a huge family fall out. I didn't know how to handle Pops' death. I would of killed myself if it wasn't for my brother, Hiram Staten. He isn't my blood brother but blood wouldn't make us any closer. He has always been there for me since diapers. Hiram is one of my closest and ambitious friends. He's determined to get out the hood with his basketball. I can't wait for him to make it. I have so much faith in my brother. I actually have more faith in him than I have in myself.

My other close friend is my girlfriend, Keisha. We've been together for three years now. Hiram and I met Keisha and her best friend, Aniyah, at the neighborhood park six years ago. Keisha and I were friends before anything but we have always had a thing for each other since we met. She means everything to me. I wouldn't know what to do without her. She's the reason why I stopped selling weed around school with my friend Derek. She refused to have a drug dealer as her boyfriend and I knew it was because she wanted the best for me but overall, the best for us. So I bust my ass in school, just to make her happy and she gives me hope and motivation by doing the same. With Keisha being the captain of her cheerleading team, she's more capable of getting a scholarship to her dream school, Clark University. I support Keisha one hundred percent but college? That's not really my thing. I just want my diploma and a good job to support her and I.

I'm determined to make this year my best year. I only want to worry about our relationship, my grades, and getting up out the hood for good. I'm not letting nothing get in my way especially if I plan on getting my apartment before the end of the school year, so mind has to be set on my goals.

I grab my jacket and my backpack from in my closet and walk out my room door. I start walking past my mama room when she grabs my attention.

"Marco baby, where you going this early in the morning?" She asks as she scratches her left arm. I immediately look where she sticks the needle and I shake my head in disappointment.

I ignore her question. "Stop scratching mom, damn," I say walking up to her to adjust her body in her recliner. "I told you about doing that shit. You need to go to rehab." I calmly say.

Yet like always, she raises her voice. "Mothafucka! Who you think you talking to like that?! You don't tell me what to do, I'm yo mama! How the fuck I'm gone go to rehab with you home alone?! Shit, I still wouldn't go. I don't give a damn, I do what I want. Now if yo daddy was here you wouldn't---"

"I wouldn't what?!" I cut her off. "No yo' ass wouldn't be doing these damn drugs if Pops was still here!" I said as I picked up the needle on the dresser and put it in her face. "I'm 18 years old, you don't have to worry about me being home alone. You damn sho' wasn't worried about me being home alone when you left for two weeks when I was thirteen! Why care now?!"

She pushed me out of her face and wobbled to stand up. "You listen to me mothafucka, I'm yo mama. YO MAMA! You understand me?" She says pointing in my face so I turned around to avoid contact but she came around to face me. "You gone respect me in my damn house! Now I asked you where the fuck you was going?! You selling that weed again?" I turned my head in disgust as I huffed my breath. I didn't want her to be in my presence any longer.

She yanked my chin and put her finger in my face again. "You hear me," she yelled. "If you selling some, let yo mama borrow a couple of sacks. I'll pay you back." She states as she got calm.

"Get the fuck away from me," I pushed her out my way and walked towards the door, "Im going to school."

She grabbed my arm so I turned around to look at her. "It's the fucking middle of August and you going to school?! Boy stop lying to me," she screamed.

I yanked my arm back and just ignored her as I stormed out the house with her yelling drifting more as I got to my car. I was too upset with the way my mom was. I don't even bring my friends over anymore because I know how she is and could be. We all worry about her, but Hiram and Keisha shouldn't have to deal with the stress she brings.  I just wish she would stop doing drugs, I thought as I started the engine and hoped my day goes better than it started.

I honked the horn as I pulled up to Keisha's house. Shortly after, I see her walking out the house. "Hey baby," Keisha greeted me as she got in and gave me a kiss. I've always loved her kisses but I wasn't in the mood to kiss so I backed up after the first peck. "What's wrong Stink," she wondered.

I pulled off. "Moms on that shit. You know how she can get," I said.

Keisha rubbed my right leg as she said, "Aww King, don't even worry about her today. I know how mad it makes you," she touched my cheek, "but let's have a good first day of our senior year" she pinched my cheek gently.

I smiled, "You know I hate that shit baby girl."

"But I made you laugh so I don't care Co," she pinched my cheek again.

I kept my left hand on the stirring wheel and grabbed Keisha's hand that was on my cheek and held it. "Alright now stop that shit."

"I love you," she expresses as she squeezed my hand.

I squeezed her hand back. "I love you baby," I said as I glanced at her.

Should I continue on??? Please comment if you'd like the next chapter.