Siriusly Coled Competition

The Rouge.

H.R.K.Osgood

"Sienna, we need you to go send a message to the mer-people of Brighton beach. We have reason to believe the death eaters are trying to get their allegiance so we must leave immediately." Dumbledore was informing me of another task I must do for the order. It was usually stuff like this and I was getting tired of not being able to fight Deatheaters like Sirius and James were.

I nodded and gripped Dumbledore's arm. I had no idea where we were going so I needed side-along apperation. There was a crack and I was pressed in on all sides. Like a thousand rubber bands squeezing from a million different angles.

"Were here."

I looked around the bare dark beach. A creaky pier was suspended over the water. We walked along it. Pausing every now and then to make sure it wasn't going to collapse under us.

"Ready?"

I nodded, tight jawed and pulled off my top. I jumped in the water and submerged as my tail started forming. I waved at Dumbledore and dived down.

It was dark and eerie, seaweed so dark it was almost black casted long shadows and waved in the current, creating shaped just out of view. It was unnerving to know that there could be a kelpie just meters away and I wouldn't know until its too late.

I swam around, marvelling once again at how fast I could move. I kept close to the seaweed, it could provide cover if I was in danger.

I had been down there for about five minutes when I sensed something wrong. A current would brush the completely wrong way against me. Bubbled would rise millimetres from where I last was.

Then there was a blade against my neck.

Blood pounded in my ears and my hand itched to where I kept my wand.

"Hello sweetheart."

I gulped and grasped the smooth, wooden edge of my wand. Carefully pointing it towards whatever was behind me.

"Expelliarmus" I murmured and the pressure was released from my throat as the knife whizzed off into the shadows.

There was a growl and the thing came out into the light, only for a second as it dived into the seaweed to retrieve its weapon.

It was a merman, scales blackened and chipped in numerous places, scars lined his face and a chunk of his ear was missing. His hair was wild and layered with dirt and algae. But his eyes were the scariest things, dark and hardened, there was no room for love or happiness in them just the pure need for survival.

I turned and swam as fast as I could, tail muscles pounding. Rocks jutted out of the seabed and I had to slow and swerve to avoid them. I was panicking too much to notice I was swimming into a shallow cave until I was facing a hard, stone wall.

A shadow fall behind me as the merman blocked my only exit, knife back firmly in his hand. I raised my wand but panic wiped all useful spells from my mind.

He approached me, a victorious smirk on his face.

This was it, I was going to die.

Remember the happy memories, chatting with Sirius, laughing with the marauders...

Laughing

"Rictusempra!"

The merman doubled over, howling with laughter. The knife fell to the ground as the rouge merman squirmed. Without a second thought I swam out of the cave and away, not daring to look back.

{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}{+}

There it is! My entry for Samlymch22's competition. If you haven't read her 'Siriusly coled' series I highly recommend you do. It is amazing.

-Hannah, Holly and Hazel.