Just Relax

“I won’t force this on you, you have a choice here.” Celine said, raising her hands placidly as if that would calm you down after the whirlwind of events that had happened thus far.

“Just know that this is the only way you can escape.” She said.

You turn to Damien, confusion and despair plain to see in your eyes. He nods gravely at you, affirming that Celine is right. You turn back to Celine and you nod your head. If this was the only way, then so be it.

“Just relax,” Celine said, closing her eyes and concentrating on the energy surround you all.

“This’ll work, I promise.” Damien added, his eyes almost shone in the dark as your vision faded. And just before you lost your hearing as well, you heard someone say,

“We’ll get our freedom soon.”

The process was slow, and the feeling of resettling into your now broken body with an extra passenger was well…. Unsettling. You let yourself drift, choosing to focus on the heavy weight blanketing your mind instead of the one in and around your body.

“Damien, where are we going?” Your eleven year old self whined as your best friend dragged you through the park towards the bushes.

“It’s a surprise!” Damien laughed and tugged you along faster. The park was large and had a wood forest area in the back fields of it, that was Damien’s favorite place to go when he needed to get away from Mark’s loudness.

“Are we there yet?”

“Almost!”

You giggled and started running, Damien let go of your hand and the two of you raced for the clearing up ahead. But before you got there, Damien pressed a finger to his lips and shushed you.

“Don’t move, okay?”

You nodded seriously and crouched beside him, staring intently at the bushes Damien was looking at.

You sat like that for a good ten minutes before a fawn crept towards the pair of you. You struggled to contain your excitement whilst Damien beckoned it closer and fed it some berries and nuts that he had brought with him.

As you walked back, you couldn’t help but bounce up and down and chatter excitedly. 

“DUDE THAT WAS SO COOL!!! WHEN DID YOU FIND THAT DEER? WHY DOES IT TRUST YOU SO MUCH? HOW DO I GET ONE?? WHERE DID YOU-”

Damien laughed and ruffled your hair.

“Sometimes he’s just around while I’m reading. I’ve been trying to get him to trust me all week so that I could show you. You know, because you love animals and your birthday is coming up…”

You grinned and gave him a hug.

“Best. Birthday present. EVER!!!!”

You smile, or at least you try to as a wave of pain washes over you as your bones click back into place. Your ‘breath’ hitched as you tried to fight against the pain, almost immediately you felt the ‘blanket’ return. Lulled into unconsciousness once more, your thoughts turned to one of your better memories of Mark from just before university…

Actually, it was because of Mark that you even got into that college with him and Damien…