Bridges Falling

The pencil case toppled in her frustration, sending stationary flying across the room. The woman grasped her hair as if it had owed her money, eyes blankly staring at the also blank paper. Her mind and heart were racing as the markless paper taunted her.

"It's no use." She grimaced, pushing herself back from the table. She began to take deep breaths, "Calm down Blake, calm down," before moving to pick up the pencils that had been thrown down. This was not an uncommon scene, the woman being unable to put a single mark on the paper, let alone a full word, sentence, or story. She sighed and exited the room, letting the door shut slowly behind her. The kitchen light was flickering again, much to Blake's annoyance.

"Maybe I just need some caffeine..." Blake thought to herself, grasping at air in her box of tea. "Am I out of rose tea? There's no way!" She flung open the lid to find not a grain of tea left in the box. She sighed, turning towards the fridge. "With my luck, I'm out of milk too." Which she was. It seemed as if a dark cloud had formed over her head as she walked towards the coat rack, pulling on her heavy winter coat. It was just as black as her hair, save for the beige, fluffy trim around the hood. Grabbing her wallet and keys, she set of for one of man's greatest inventions: the grocery store.

It did not take her long to get down to the bottom floor of the apartment complex. That was one of the main perks of living on the third floor, she thought to herself, that and less noisy neighbors. The glass door seemed to fling itself open with the icy wind. Blake simply pulled her hood tighter over her face and set off into the cold twilight of winter.

It wasn't even dinner time, and the sun had already set down past the horizon. Blake didn't hate winter by any means of the word, she just wished it would be less... wintery. She almost didn't notice the person in front of her until they were right in front of her. The person was a girl with long, blonde hair, who looked to be able her age. She was no adequately dressed for the weather, and seemed to be paler than the soon-to-be-rising moon.

"Please..." She stammered, "H-help me..." the girl said, before falling down at Blake's feet, unmoving. Blake just stared for a couple seconds before her mind pieced together what had just happened.

"Holy shit!" Blake immediately scooped the girl up in her arms and began to carry her back to her complex. "Once I get her back to my house, I'll call Weiss, and get this girl some blankets." Luckily for both parties, Blake hadn't stepped even a few feet outside of her building.

Once the two were inside of Blake's apartment, Blake muscled her way toward the couch, to where she placed the girl. In the light, Blake could see that the girl's clothes, although they were probably once bright, were dirty and worn out. There were also scratches on her arms and a few rips along the sides of her shirt. Blake shook herself awake and pulled out her phone, dialing the only number she could remember offhand besides her parents' - Weiss Schnee, her doctor.

"Hello, this is Schnee Medical Center, Weiss speaking! How may I help you?" A faux cheery voice rang from the other end of the line.

"Weiss, this is Blake. I need you at my apartment right now, there was a girl passed out on the road and I think she may need to go to the hospital, but I don't know." Blake heaved out in a single breath, "You know my address right?"

"Really!? I'll be right there, keep the girl covered in blankets and make sure she doesn't have frostbite. If she does, put it in warm water until I get there." Weiss was the first to hang up the phone, and Blake sprang into action. She barged into her room and grabbed the warmest blanket she could find – the one that her mother had given her as a housewarming gift, and tucked it under the blonde. She checked her hands and feet for any signs of frostbite, and luckily, there were none. All that was left for Blake to do was wait for Weiss.