Prologue

Hi everyone,

I'm @bugs_799 and I am writing a new story about two princesses who run into trouble and try to solve it themselves. I hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

<3 @bugs_799

PROLOGUE

“Happy birthday, Boni!”

“Happy birthday, Kenzi!”

It was the same every year.

MacKenzi Foster, my best friend in the whole world, was like my twin being born on the same day as me and all. We knew practically everything about each other. 

So when we sat bolt upright in bed, calling over the thin wall that separated our rooms, our fifteenth birthday was as familiar as the last.

Oh, and I’m Bonita Stanford, Boni for short.

I sprang out of my four-poster bed, pulling the gold cover messily into place. Mr Yam will be disappointed with me. But it’s my birthday! 

I sprinted through to her room. 

“I beat you!” MacKenzi burst out.

“So so,” I replied, bummed inside but I didn’t care externally. I plonked down onto her bed, a beige curtain swishing in my face. MacKenzi laughed, pulling a face.

“I hate these beds, the curtains are hideous!” she pushed the drape from my face and I smiled then jokingly became stern.

“Hate is a strong word, Princess MacKenzi.” I did my best Mr Yam impersonation. 

“But they are, Bon!” she protested.

“Funny how we never call each other Princess Bonita,” I shuddered, “or Princess MacKenzi!” 

“That’s because they’re our dorky princess names,” She duhed me. 

We sat in awkward silence for a moment. Then I realised something we had been waiting for for ages was finally possible.

“Kenzi! Guess what we forgot?” I didn’t even wait for her reply.

“The forest!” I screamed, excitedly.

She jumped for joy with me.

“Party in the forest… Tonight!” Her sing-song voice rang out. My singing was horrible so I didn’t even bother.

“Sleepover!” MacKenzi shouted.

“The boys!” I cried and we both squealed like pigs. 

 “Love….” We sighed, dramatically.

Prince Drew Hatherbeen and his gang had already turned fifteen. They were allowed in the forest. Fourteen year olds or younger weren’t. But now we were. And it would be so good. 

Kenzi and I despised Drew’s younger sister, Gisela. She was 14, and very bossy and demanding. She always was boasting about her many toys. Now we could boast about being allowed in the forest.

I gave Kenzi a grin before rushing into my room to change.

Red converse with a blue hoodie and skinny jeans, my father would be proud…. Not! I pulled my collarbone-length golden hair into a high ponytail, skipping into Kenzi’s room.

“Gosh! How quick did you get dressed?!” She, as usual, was still picking her outfit. While waiting, I brushed my teeth and flossed. Beautiful white teeth were essential as a princess.

Kenzi was ready by the time I had done my teeth. A white tie-up blouse, pale denim jeans and flats, Nice Kenzi! I thought. 

Walking down the stone stairs to the breakfast hall, we were silent. 

Drew and Lachlan, his best friend, were sitting at one table eating. Kenzi got her plate and Mrs Trent served her. I followed, groaning at the sight and smell of the food.

“Yuck!” I whispered to Kenzi.

“As always!” She replied.

We sat down with Drew and Lachlan, our stomachs growling for nice food that we wouldn’t get.

“Hello.” I said to them, bowing my head, politely. 

“Oh! Give it a rest, Bon! It’s only them!” Kenzi sighed. Drew and Lachlan sniggered then smiled at me.

“Hi.” Lachlan said. I was surprised! He was the quietest of all the boys here and I had only heard him yell once. At Drew. But that’s another story. 

“Drew?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Happy birthday, kiddo!” He spread his arms in a hug-like way.

“Nice try!.... but thanks anyway!” I grinned. He sighed in defeat.

“Hi.”

Kenzi laughed. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. There was an awkward silence for a moment then Drew spoke.

"Hey, do you girls want to spend your first night in the forest with us?" Kenzi grinned at me. I nodded then turned back to the boys. Drew and Lachlan smiled widely at each other.

"We can show them our favourite spot, Drew!" Lachlan shouted, scaring Kenzi and I.

"We'll leave at lunch!" Kenzi declared and we all agreed.