Chapter 1

This time last year, I was already busy planning vacations with my high school girl friends. But now, I am in college and about to start working part time as a lifeguard in a local water park. Miss Katherine Hill, the HR manager of the park know my mom from way back and offered to give me a job this spring till the end of summer. I was asked to report today (on a Monday) at 5:30 in the afternoon at the HR building. But before that, I have to pick up a few things at the wardrobe department.

"Hi, I'm here to pick up my uniform and ID, please." The probably-300-pound old wardrobe lady at the back of the desk looks ridiculously happy with what she's doing because of that annoying overly positive vibe and wide smile on her face. She took the thick notebook and said, "sign in your name dear and let me see your blue card please."

I took the card and hand it to her after signing my name Alexandra Hutchkins, on the shabby notebook.

"Here's your uniform, your employee ID and the schedule of the next step in your application," she said after presenting to me the bag and the ID.

I took the schedule from her and smiled not wanting to be rude or anything, as I left the room. And then it dawned on me, what next step on my application? I thought after my HR interview, I'll just drop by and start working. But no - I have to report on Thursday for the swim test, undergo first aid training (where I'll have to take a test after) on Friday and then on Saturday, I'll have to report again for another training - swimming skill.

Great. I hope I'm gonna get paid for the extra 3 days of not really working, I mean, after school, the last thing I wanna do is study and take another test. I guess the swimming skill training isn't bad at all, I used to be in a swim team in high school where we join regional and national competitions.

***

Thursday came by fast as I really have nothing going on. My finals were a blast, my mom's working all the time and my dad is always busy tending the tire shop that we had since forever.

I drove my vintage mint blue beetle car to Aquatic Adventure Water Park to report for the swim test.

The employee entrance at the back of the park was a nifty sight. I parked my beetle nearest at the guard house and told the lady guard, "I'm here for the swim test with Miss Andy Johnson," and handed my employee ID card.

She swiped it and had my duffle bag inspected.

I walked anxiously through the gates and to the wave pool, where I'm suppose to meet with a Miss Andy and - I think, with other swim test takers. It's actually my first time inside this water park, I've been to Wet 'n Wild in Orlando with my cousins 3 summers ago, but this one is quite different. It's kind of outdated and the place is obviously just being repainted every year.

"Good afternoon people, my name is Andy Johnson and I'll be the one who will conduct the test," says the thin, blonde girl who looks younger than she probably is. "The test consists of three parts: the 4 lap swim, the other one is where you need to get the brick from the middle of the pool and the last one would be treading for 3 minutes," she continued.

The test was kind of easy, I used to do worst during our training back in high school with coach Higgs. The only thing that made it mind-numbingly tedious is not because I can do those things blind folded, but because of the waiting in line. We were all in all 38, and I'm at the 30th mark.

"Thank you all for coming in today on time, I hope you guys will do the same tomorrow. I know the call time says 8 in the morning, but I do hope no one will be late. Good job y'all, I'll see you tomorrow," and with that, the blonde lady went back to the pink cabana with her black clipboard clipped under her armpit.

I was with a bunch of strangers hoping I'd like working with them and vice versa.

***

Morning came and it was excruciatingly cold. Climate change becomes crazier and crazier every year. It's already the first day of May and the temperature isn't Spring Break friendly yet. I brought my hoodie and drove back to the park before 8, since I live 20 minutes away, tardiness would be the least of my problems.

"Good morning everyone, I'm Miguel Garcia and I'll be your first aid training instructor," says the man with a beautiful brown complexion and huge biceps.

The training went exceptionally fine, especially when your instructor looks like a hot and hunky lifeguard from Baywalk.

I met a girl same as my age named Lucy. It's a good thing that I have at least one friend in my new summer job.

After the first aid training, we took the written test. It was okay I guess, the questions were somehow easy if you listened to the earlier lecture.

It was raining the whole time, so the group never left the hut at the back of the park.

I drove home immediately and took a long hot bath.