Where You Belong

"We've gone too far to turn back now." Brooke murmured to herself. Brooke's dog, Sparks whined sorrowfully in return. Brooke gazed over the blue green ocean as the boat slowly bobbed up and down. Her stomach growled, it's been days since she had a decent meal. The bread and water were not enough to satisfied her increasing hunger, nor Sparks's. 

"Oh Sparks, what should we do now?" Brooke reached for Sparks and hugged him tightly as Sparks licked off the tears that's streaming down her face. "We can't go back now, not when everyone is looking for us." Sparks looked at his mistress, determined to cheer her up at any rate. Brooke sighed. She got up again to look out for any small island. Any small island where she could escape to from reality. But there was no sign of any. Brooke gave in to her lethargy, and soon falls asleep, with Sparks guarding her loyally.

*+*+*+*+*+*

"Hey look!! There she is!!" a group of boys ran after Brooke, and soon caught her. "Look at her! What a dirty uniform, or is it actually a diaper?" the boys jeered at her, laughing and slapping each other high fives. "Nobody wants you now, Brooken." Brooke winced at the nickname they gave her since the fire. "But they are right," she thought silently. "I'm feeling so broken now.. I had no one at all.." The boys started throwing rocks at her. One tried to tear her already torned uniform. "Why is this happening to me... Why? Everyday..." Brooke was no competition for them. She was always helpless.

Suddenly, a dog ran towards them and snarled at the boys. Instead of being frightened, one of the boys threw a rock at the dog. The dog yelped in pain. And for once, Brooke felt anger. Without a second thought, she pushed the boy into the flowing river and ran. She heard shouts and screams as she keeps on running....blindly....

*+*+*+*+*+*

Brooke woke up immediately. She had been crying in her sleep, again. "The same nightmare over again," she thought. "Why does it keeps coming back..."

Sparks had been the dog who had rescued her. Ever since then, Sparks had been running away with Brooke, always by her side. Brooke could never figured out why Sparks had tried to save her, neither know where he came from. Nevertheless, she is grateful to have a companion to be with her. She don't want to be there anymore. After losing her family in the fire, she had always been a loner. Not one of her friends cared about her since then, not one of her neighbors offered to help. She had no other relatives, no other places to go. Brooke learned that the boy died. He drowned, therefore she had committed a murder. A crime. But there's no use regretting, she will just have to move on.

Living on a boat is not easy. Brooke never feels so hungry or thirsty. Her stomach feels so empty, her throat burning with thirst. The heaven's eye that shines so bright does not help. Brooke and Sparks both lay on the boat, she patted Sparks with a silent thank you and a wave of dizziness swarmed over her thoughts...

*+*+*+*+*+*

Where am I? Brooke wandered around the unfamiliar surrounding. Brooke stared astonishingly at her white dress, her nails are once clean, and her hair are no longer tangled up with dirt and mud. Brooke gazed around, feeling calm and cool, like she belongs here. At the corner of her eye, she saw two people walking towards her, she turns, and finally smile as she embraced her parents...

*+*+*+*+*+*

One young girl was found dead on a deserted boat at the east coast. Experts believed that she committed suicide. Some said she died of hunger and thirst. There were no signs of injuries which leads to her death. A dog on the same boat was still alive when found, licking away the tears at the young girl's faintly smiling visage, but he died soon after.