Prologue

September 5th, 2008

"Mommy, Daddy will you pretty please tuck me into bed"? I whine out.

"Yes babygirl." my mom giggles with delight.

As the three of us walk down the hall towards my bedroom, I smile contently. I loved moments like these with my parents, but however at that moment I didn't know it would be my last. We pushed the door open and I eagerly skipped into my bedroom, quickly hopping up onto my bed in the process. I burrowed myself into the sheet and blankets getting super comfy as possible.

Mom and Dad leaned over each side of the twin size bed and gave me extra big kisses on both sides of my face. "Tomorrow will be a good day little one, so rest up." My mother smiles. They turn on their feet & shut the light off.

"Sweet dreams sweetie." My father smiles. "I love you Melanie" My mother smiles as she closes the door shut behind her. I roll over in my bed and shut my eyes, almost instantly I drifted into a deep sleep.

"I can't believe you!!"

I could hear it clear as day.

I sit up in bed and rub my groggy eyes, yawning I turn my legs swiftly moving out of bed. I move slowly, trying to detect where the yelling I had heard was coming from. Quietly, my little hands grab the doorknob twisting it open. I follow the sounds of the yelling, It leads me towards the living room. With each baby step I take down the hall, I get closer and closer to hearing the argument at hand.

"It was a mistake George, I can't take it back!" My mother screams.

"A mistake, a fucking mistake?!!" My father seethes back.

Quiet.

Tension.

"Really Diana?" Dad breaks the silence. "You expect me to believe every little lie that comes out that stupid mouth of yours?!" He booms.

"Please, no no no, don't hurt me, forgive me George, forgive me!" She's crying inconsolably.

The sound of loud commotion makes me shuffle faster towards the end of the hall, I was scared to death as I peeked around the corner. I saw my father standing over my sobbing mother. He yanks her off the couch by her hair and presses a knife to her throat.

My heart drops to my stomach and I can feel tears brimming my eyes.

"Please Diana! I know you enjoyed it you stupid whore!" He exclaims.

"You're nothing but a lying bitch!" Dad quickly adds after.

"Oh please George, We can fix this!" Mom pleads.

"Don't hurt me! Please!" My mother's cries were so loud you could hardly understand her.

"There's nothing to fix!"

Those were my father's last words to my mother as he took her life away right in-front of me. A scream escaped my lips as I watched her lifeless body fall to the ground. Tears were already streaming down my face. At the sound of my scream, the monsters eyes look up to meet mine.

"Melanie come here." He ordered. I shuffled backwards, slowly retreating away and shook my head 'No'.

"It's okay sweetie...Your mom was such a bad person that I had to protect you from". His once endearing smile was now unsettling. His arms reached out for me to run into them just like all the times I had before. I refused once more and began to run off into a quick sprint. "Get back here you little shit!" He yells. I make a beeline for the kitchen, knowing full well the back door would be unlocked.

"Melanie!" His screams fill the almost silent house. The next step I take, I trip over one of my toys, this alone sends me tumbling down into the hallway. My foot stings with pain and I struggle to get back up. However, before I could manage to get off the floor and back on my feet, this man I once knew and loved seized me by my wrists and pulls me upwards.

"You're not going anywhere you little bitch!"

I can feel his spit splatter my face when he speaks.

I start to kick and scream to free myself. He proceeds to drag me down the hall, towards the basement door. He manages to get right at the door due to my unsuccessful attempt to escape his evil clutch. By the stroke of luck my hand slips from his hold and I manage to jab his left eyeball inwards with my fingernails. He yelps in pain and lets me go, grabbing his eye to stop the pain. His swearing is the only thing I hear.

Without any further hesitation, I pivot on my feet and run for the backdoor. I grab the cold silver door knob and twist it, shoving the door open as fast as I could. I ran, sobbing my eyes out. I had lost everything all in this one night. I had no shoes, only pajamas on as I ran into the dark abyss...with not a clue as to where I going to end up.