Chapter I

She glided lazily, wings cradling the rare jet stream. Blazing heat washed over her. She broke away from the jet stream and dove. She plummeted towards the scorched earth and flared her wings. The wind caught her and soon she was rocketing towards an unsuspecting mammal. The mouse-like creature noticed her too late.

Took you long enough. She let out a victorious shriek as she speared the creature's heart. With the mammal secure in her talons, she took off. The large feathered bird then prepared herself for the long journey home.

~^~^~

She circled the large rock formation twice, and announced her arrival. The cliff face came alive with the buzzing of the wings of her clanmates. She glided towards the center of the clan. Her clanmates separated before her, creating a pathway towards the clan's queen.

She spread her stewed cherry wings, bowing her head in utmost respect. The queen nodded curtly, recognizing her service to the clan. She laid down the mammal at the Queen's talons, and backed away slowly.

She watched as the queen ripped the mammal apart. Pale, pink meat flew into the mass of clanmates clamoring for food. She snatched a meat sliver and swallowed it. The meat tasted delicious, especially since she hadn't eaten in two weeks. Another clan mate would fly out to hunt after her shift.

She retired to a ledge that overlooked the barren landscape. The earth still bore scars, remnants left behind of an age long past. The clan's queen had kept them alive, even when there wasn't much of anything left.

The sun began to rise, and the fiery ball of death that controlled all their lives was once again forcing them into the shadows.

~^~^~

She watched as her brother departed for the long journey to the equator. Or rather, what was left of it. Her brother cast a long shadow upon the russet and barren earth.

As she retreated into the cool depths of her den, the cracked stone walls whispered softly with wind. Her feathers were ruffled by the breeze, and she welcomed the cold cutting through her bones. She rearranged the few pieces of vegetation she called a nest. She tucked her head under an outstretched wing. She let her mind slip into half awareness, and that turned to the shapeless shadow of deep sleep.