THE SADDEST RELIEF| 1

We always sit around the dining table pretending to like each other. Dinners are filled with cold stares and uncomfortable silences, I fill the time by shuffling my feet and nervously biting at my nails. After what felt like hours my father puts me out of my misery. 

"Seth!! Stacy!!  Clean up the table"

I and my sister hurriedly stand up and start tidying up the dining table.

"Don't worry children, I'll do it", my mother says with a smile as she stands up.  Stacy and I pause and wait for affirmation from our father. 

"Sit down, Mariah", my father says firmly. 

"No Fredrick, the kids have had a long day at school and it's just a few dishes , I'll do it."

"I said no", Fredrick shouts.

" Mom, Dad, don't worry Seth and I got this. Right Seth?", my sister says.

"Yeah Yeah ", I stutter.

We quickly tidy up the table and go to the kitchen. As we leave I hear my father stand up as they start to argue. As I and my sister tidy up the kitchen I hear their screams get louder. This goes on for quite sometime then it gets quiet. Then I hear a smack, followed by high pitched screams. Stacy and I share a look, but we know better than to interfere. We ignore it, I know we shouldn't but we don't have a choice, right.