I'm Not Alone...

Short Story by: Jessica G. Perbin

It was a typical Thursday morning. I looked at my wrist watch to check if I'm late. I have still 6 minutes before the time of my first period.

I was confidently walking towards the gate when the guard called my attention. So there was a new security guard of the university? He's not the one I always see in the guardhouse. So, maybe I'm right.

I looked at him blankly because I don't know what's the matter.

"Where is you ID, ma'am?" he asked.

I glanced and touched my neck and there was really no ID.

"Where is that? I'm sure I wore it before leaving." I murmured to myself. I started to search for my bag just in case I put it there. It's just a few minutes before seven. I started to get worried.

Then a guy approached me from behind...

"Miss, are you looking for this?" he asked and showed me an ID. I stared at the ID for a moment, from the picture to the name and to my surprise, it was really mine. But how did he get it?

"Oh! Yes. Thank you." I answered and plastered a smile.

"Would it be fine if we walk together?" he asked.

"Sure, why not." I replied. Why wouldn't I when he's so handsome, neat, appealing and hot! I can clearly remember how my breath chased the beating of my heart that time.

"So, what course are you taking?" this time, I was the one to ask. Curious? Yes.

"I'm taking up BSED."

"Oh! We're the same. But what is your major? I think today is the first time I saw you in this campus."

"English. I'm a first year student." he replied shortly.

"WHAT?" I asked as my eyes widened and I turned my gaze to him.

"Yeah! I'm a first year BSED English student." he repeated.

I was wondering why I got to see him for the first time that day. He cannot be my classmate then.

Then finally, after a long walk, we approached and entered our classroom.

I was surprised because there are no other people in our classroom, just the two of us.

"Where are they?" I asked and looked around.

I glanced in my watch and it's already 7:13 am. I was expecting that I'm late, but what is this? Where are my classmates?

"Are you sure you entered the right room?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm sure of it." Isn't he my classmate? Why is he asking me if I entered the right room where in fact we are supposed to have the same classroom?

"Let's just wait for them to come." he calmly said and he sat on the arm chair in front of him.

As we were waiting, we have talked of so many things and I can say I have said almost 50% of information about me. He was fun to talk to, and I can feel that he is that guy who can keep a secret as a secret.

I glanced at my wrist watch once again, 8:45 am. Seriously? No one attended the first period, not even our teacher?

"Let's have some snack?" he invited. Since I was feeling hungry, I nodded immediately.