prologue

Alivia's POV

"Zion?" I questioned, answering my phone before the ringing stopped.

"Hey, baby sis," he replied. I could hear the grin in his voice. "I have a surprise for you!"

I smiled as I rolled over on my bed, now laying on my stomach. I haven't heard from my brother in about a week, so I was in a good mood right now. It was currently 9 o'clock at night, and I was tired. I was laying in bed watching a movie, waiting for sleep to overcome my being for the night.

"What is it, Z? You know how I feel about surprises.." I trailed off. I wasn't good with surprises, mainly because when I was 10, my family threw a surprise birthday party for me. A bunch of people, hiding, only to jump out and scream a single word at you.. Not okay. I cried. A lot.

"This one's fire, trust. Look out your window," he instructed.

I slowly got off my bed and walked over to my window, peeling back the curtains. I glanced outside and gasped. Quickly hanging up my phone, I turned around and made my way outside of my house, squealing the whole way. Once I opened the front door, I stopped, seeing Zion standing there, the porch light shining bright, with a pout.

"You hung up on me," he whined, stomping his foot.

"You'll get over it," I laughed, throwing myself into his arms. He laughed too, lifting me up and spinning me around. "I missed you," I breathed out, giving him a good squeeze.

"I missed you more, Goose," he whispered, setting me back on the ground.

I really did miss Zion. He was my best friend, my big brother. We weren't blood related, though, his parents adopted me when I was only 6 years old. I'm 17 now. Zion was 7 at the time. My mom left just after I was born and my dad passed away a few months before my 6th birthday. The Kuwonu's were our next door neighbors, Zion was my only friend at the time. His mom offered to take care of me while things were settled with my father's death, my mother wanting nothing to do with me. About a week after I turned 6, Mr. and Mrs. Kuwonu -or mom and dad as I've come to call them- adopted me, allowing me to become an official part of their family.

It's been about 6 months since I've actually seen my big brother, him being famous and all. The last time I saw him was back at Christmas, but it's now June. I got out of school just last week, having finished my junior year. I was supposed to fly out to spend my Spring Break with Zion, but those plans fell through because he was moving into his new home, otherwise known as the PrettyMuch house.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to take you away!" He gave a lopsided grin, teeth showing.

"For how long?" I was giddy right now, excited to spend time with Zion.

"Girl, I'm finna take you for the whole summer!"

I squealed and jumped up and down before attacking my brother once again.

"Go get packed. We heading back to Cali in the morning."

***

I woke up the next morning, a smile on my face as I let out a sigh. Today, I would be flying to Los Angeles to spend the next two months with my brother and his band mates.

I climbed out of bed and walked into my bathroom, brushing my teeth and changing into the outfit I had planned out last night while I was packing. I put on a pair of black leggings and a navy blue, long-sleeved Malibu tee. I walked back into my room and slipped on a pair of white sneakers with dark blue stripes up the sides. I grabbed my suitcase, my dufflebag and my over-sized purse and made my way out of my bedroom. Heading downstairs, I set my luggage by the front door and walked into the kitchen where my mom, dad, and Zion were seated.