Chapter 1

I sat there just watching the what was left of the fan on the ceiling as it swung and wobble around madly, it wasn't made for this heat, I know the war ended years ago but the weather, the environment, was still getting worse. I remember the stories that an old traveller had told me about the grassy hills and animals that lived side by side and not all of them had  to kill to survive. Those green hills are long gone, the endless sand dunes are all that's left and the animals, well those that survived have become killers.

I looked down at the flickering screen of the TV the news presenter was looking at me sternly almost angrily, as if he was angry about being trapped in that little box. He spoke about little things that didn't matter, like gossip and which celebrity did what, I can't believe the extent that people have gone to piece their lives back together, the enemy is getting closer everyday yet the people in the city don't want to worry their tiny little minds as usual. The news presenter straightened up, and began to talk about the war, this is usually the time that city people turn off their TVs and begin to do other things, but no I sat here, to listen, to know when I have to move.

'What's the point? You can't move any further south' I thought to myself

"The Renasci Empire has conquered five more city states within the past week, to of which not far from our own, the casualties numbered in their hundreds of thousands as the Imperial Army claimed Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro marking the fall of Brazil, which was one of the least affected countries by the war, border wise. City states not far from our own borders have been affected, the military governor of Fort Townsville committed suicide as the Imperial Army forced the population to surrender and Cairns was burnt to the ground only a few hours ago, it’s capture has sealed the loop that surrounds Fort Alicesprings, which, with the fall of Porto Alegre, is the last major resistance against the Imperial Forces. Further news New Van Dieman's Land has officially closed its borders to fleeing war refugees."

I got up and turning off the TV I glanced at what was left of my clock.

'Good, it'll be night fall soon, I can get to work.'

I'm a scavenger, I search from ruin to ruin for anything that could turn a profit, but lately things haven't been going well, with more and more people moving south things of value are found quicker. Some have gotten desperate enough to begin raiding other scavengers for food. I toke shelter from a sand storm in an old cave that someone had made into a home, the place was a mess, everything valuable gone and nothing but blood left, either it was raiders or a Beardog had gotten in there.

A shiver ran down my spine as I thought of Beardogs and I roamed around the shelter to reasure myself that there was no way one could get in. Beardogs are massive, feral dogs, after a few thousand years and nearly a century of being exposed to radiation, they kind of turned into this single kind of huge bear-like dog they're fast, dangerous and bloodthirsty beasts, they quickly out competed most other animals and I have had more than enough close calls with them.

As the harsh, blazing sun began to sink below the sand dunes I stood at the window watching as the thousands of bright red lizards darted across the sands towards the cliffs to the north, gaint flightless birds tossing them in the air before devouring them whole, like they had done every day since I got there. I waited for them to pass before I slowly pulled back the door. I knelt down and touched the sand, still hot; it would be after a day like that. I picked up my heavy pack and began to walk out into the dunes.

I found an ruined farm house half buried under the sand a spire of smoke still rising out of a gap in the roof. I decided to be safe, go around and avoid that part of the house. A small shed sat down the dune, I went and investigated; nothing but a rusty pick and shovel.

There was the faint humming of engines in the distances and the crunching of wheels as the noise became louder. I looked up to the smoke; I looked in the direction that the sound was coming from. Five large white and gold cars blurred in the distance. Only one word came to my lips.

Renasci, I ran for cover up the dunes and had to hide in the abandoned farmhouse. I hid at a window and peered down the dune as the cars slowly rolled by the gold trim shining in the moonlight. I waited before they past before I began to move, I explored the house to find it had already been picked clean. I risked checking where I saw the smoke.

I got to the part of the house that I had seen the smoke coming from. I leant against the wall and peer around. A dully light camp fire sat a few metres away from a badly pitched tent, next to the tent lay the iconic white and gold rifle of an Imperial Officer and a steel blade reflected the dim flame. In the tent was a part of badly scuffed boots and a heavily torn uniform that hadn't been washed in days, the bleached white had become a dirty grey and the gold had faded. An officer lay asleep in the tent he had been out here for days.

That explains the convoy. I thought

I snuck as best I could on the sand and snuffed out the flame, I picked up the rifle and crept up to the officer. As I took aim the man sat up and faced me I sat there for a few moments half asleep and confused then as he woke up more the confusion changed to panic he scrambled out the back of the tent and stumbled down the dunes. I felt the adrenaline running through me as I raised the rifle to my shoulder and took aim; if he escaped I would be killed. I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger.

He feel to the ground grasping his thigh, blood stained the sand; he began to kick around, speeding the gushing blood. I took aim again.

"Take this, dick head." I muttered about to pull the trigger.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." A voice came from behind me.