The Other Side of the Mirror

They all laughed. They all played. They all had fun, except Alice. Alice stayed in the schoolhouse. Everyone in her class thought she was weird, but she was not weird. She was obviously different, but not weird. While all the children were outside playing and having fun, Alice stayed inside, and flinched. She was afraid of something, but no one knew what for or why.

After ten minutes of recess, Mrs. McGuire, the teacher of Alice came into the schoolhouse, and commanded to come outside, but Alice shook her head in reject. Mrs. McGuire just nodded in doubt, and left Alice in the schoolhouse.

Recess was done after twenty more minutes passed, and all the children entered the schoolhouse all jittery from their running around and having fun. Alice sat quietly in the back of the room, shaking like a leaf. Once all the children sat down with their pencils, Mrs. McGuire announced that a test needed to be taken. All the students moaned, groaned, and whined, except Alice.

As Mrs. McGuire handed out the test, Alice began to cry for no reason. She pouted like a newborn tot. Mrs. McGuire stopped passing out the tests to go speak to Alice. The teacher asked Alice many questions on why she was crying, but nothing came out of Alice's mouth. Just then, Mrs. McGuire looked at Alice, and saw something fierce and rare. The teacher shrieked with fear, and told Alice to go to the restroom to clean herself up. Alice got up from her seat, but could not find the door. Her peers laughed. The teacher directed her to the door. Alice could not open it. The students laughed again, but Mrs. McGuire sentenced them to be quiet or they would get a detention. Mrs. McGuire opened the door for Alice, and she shut the door on her!

First, Alice just stood there in doubt of dying, but then she walked around the school. She could not see. She did not know why. Alice felt her eyeball, and noticed something - they were crystals! That is why Alice could not see! She had crystals for eyes. She wanted to scream for help, but she could not! She felt her lips, but they were missing! This was all perplexing to Alice. Just as she was about to give up, a young man from another room came out. He was about twelve years old, and he went Alice.

He asked what was wrong, but she could not speak.

"My name is Thaddeus," the young man said, "Do you need any help?"

No answer came out from Alice. Thaddeus looked at Alice, noticing no reply from Alice. He noticed that Alice had no mouth! Although Thaddeus was a surprised and a little freaked by her appearance, he did not run.

Thaddeus asked multiple questions on where she needed to go. Finally, he got the question right on going to the restroom. She nodded her head. So, Alice and Thaddeus walked to the restrooms. When they finally arrived, Thaddeus told Alice to clap once if she was not ready for him to come in and fetch her, and to clap twice if she was ready for him to go in the female restroom and bring her back to the classroom.

While Thaddeus was going to the restroom, Alice stayed in the girl bathroom to look in the mirror and clean herself up. Then, something ill at ease happened - she could see her face!

Alice had beautiful hazel eyes that shimmered like moist grass; her lips were soft like cotton candy; her soft blonde hair. She was beautiful. She could speak!

As Alice was looking on the other side of the mirror, Thaddeus was ready to ask the question on claps, and so he did. Alice gave no answer. Thaddeus asked again; no reply.

"Alice!" Thaddeus yelled, "Are you ready for me to come in?"

Just then, Alice finally said, "Yes."

"Alice? Was that you?"

No reply.

Thaddeus then walked into the female bathroom, and saw Alice.

"Alice," he said, "Alice. Alice. Alice. You are beautiful."

And Alice said, "I'm going to the other side of the mirror."