Chapter 1

Firefighting, there's a lot that goes into this job. Schooling, which includes both book work and hands on work inside and outside of the classroom. I know what it takes to get on the Fire Department, I also know what it takes to rank up.

Let me introduce myself, I am Zach Michaels. A 32 year  veteran of the Denver Fire Department. Or DFD as I call it. I am entering into my last year on the job, yes I am retiring. My mind thinks I can still do this job at the position in which I am in. Captain, this is the longest I've been in a position. I was a Firefighter for 5 years before being promoted up to  lieutenant I would be there for 10 years. For the past 18 years now I have been a Captain. I have one ranked officer below me that I over see. Lieutenant Haley Matthews , together we over see three other men and woman on our rigs.

It's 4:30 in the morning when my alarm goes off. My wife is already up and out the door and at work. She works for the news station here in Denver Fox31. She's already at work preparing for the 6am new cast.

I get ready for work and I'm out the door by 5:15 this morning. Which is kind of a habit for me. I like to get there early before the guys. Even though I am the highest in rank I can show up last. I hate that though. As long as the rookie or lowest ranked person is there first like they should be then I am happy.

I have my uniform on and I grab a few last minute things before going down stairs. Our kids Sarah and Brian are not up yet for school. Like Alley and I our kids go to Columbine High School. Brian is a sophomore, Sarah is a senior.

When I walk out the door I get to my truck with a little bit more step up then usual. We have roll call at six and then a brief meeting after, Then we go over the rigs. There are some things I want to address from last shift that I didn't like. I talked to Haley about it in the two days we have off. We work 24 hours on shift then 48 hours off. When I arrive at the station, Hayley and rookie Firefighter/Engineer David Banks is with her. He gives me a quick glance but then makes direct eye contact with his Lt.

They finish up there conversation and then he introduces himself to me. I told him about how I know his father and how I still keep in contact with him on a regular basis. Which I actually do. He then leaves the room to start the checks on his apparatus peace the Engine.

So how do you want to address these issues this morning? Says Hayley, I can address the stuff that I saw wrong on the engine.

That works for me I'll bring up the stuff wrong in the station. We have had these guys and girls for a number of years. They know what is expected in this how by me and you. So why all of the sudden was this last shift suppose to be any different. I say.

I fully agree with you on that Cap. Says Hayley.

After the conversation with Hayley I went into my office to check on some emails and other small things until the rest of the crew is there for the 6 am roll call. When that is called we go out to the bay and start calling names. Hayley calls her guys first.

Marcus Allen, David Banks and Neal Patterson. Says Hayley. They are all present. Now as you are all now aware David is the new probie of the house. So please for fuck sake make him feel welcome. And David. You got three months to prove yourself. Don't shit can yourself.

Oh I promise I won't ma"m. Says David.

I'm up.

Alright good morning guys. Christiana Bailey, Lucy Evans, Shannon Nichols. There all accounted for.

Now guys the Lt and myself need to address a couple of things that we saw last shift and frankly what I have been seeing the last couple of shifts before Donnie left. I've also heard it from the other Captains and Lieutenant"s at this station on different shifts that have said stuff is not being cleaned properly. Hoses on the Engine, the floors in here or in the house. Guys this is becoming unacceptable really fast. I'm sorry but it looks like you guys will be supervised by us again until you get it right. Which puts us, Hayley and I behind in morning work. I don't give them enough time to respond after that. Now let's get going on this. My girls over to the truck double time.

My guys as well double time I hear Hayley say.

As groups we check the entire apparatus together. Christina pulls the rig out into the drive. When she does I go over to my officers seat and start checking things on the computer. I realize once again that the Captain a shift before me has failed to turn in his report for an early morning fire before the 6 am shift change today. I send it off to the Chief and to the Captain. I look at the call history log from last shift as well. But I am also watching my crew.

A few minutes goes by and I grab my gear. First thing I check, my PASS alarm. It goes from a very low sound to a ear shattering sound.

I continue to go over my stuff and check on my people. '

Checks are done about a half an hour later and then the first call of the shift goes out. 

Engine 22 Tower Ladder 22 respond.......