IMMOVABLE

“What happens if an unstoppable force encounters an immovable object?”

                From that question I christened the object of my affection. And from that day on, I promised to love her silently. And this is our short story.

                “I really hate you Chris! I really hate you! So much! . . . No one has ever hurt me like this . . .(sob) . . .  Sir!” as she murmured in between her gentle sobs in front of me. I wished she knew how much I understand the way she feels right now, crying and her eyes blurring in vision while her tears keep on streaming down her face. From where I stood, I wish I could hold her once more, and eventually give her the embrace I have longed to cage her in even just for once.

                But I could not anymore . . .

                An Immovable object

                An Unstoppable force

                Another name for her is Leah. The Immovable.  And she told me right after that I was the unstoppable. When I gave my answer, she cut me short and said that the two were non existent. That was when I ceased to exist too, seemingly.

                I met her in one of my class, on the first week of the first semester. Lately I’ve been wondering what it would be in store for me this academic year. That classroom where I met her gave me a lot to think about.

                Since it was the first day, and enrollment was far from end, I was simply there to collect class cards and know whom I would meet for the rest of the semester. It would be very helpful since it would give me a gauge as to how I will measure up with my audience and what to give in order to keep them looking at me at least, while spanning the length of the blackboard and doing my part in instructing them. That’s what I am, an instructor. And many of those who know me, even in this school, would always give me the honor of calling me their professor. That is too much for me.  As of now, I don’t really care about that humble title. I am happy being an instructor.

                I thought that with the first group of mixed sophomores and juniors would end also my meeting with her. As I have said, I simply collected their class cards and then gave them a brief introduction of myself. They were all my first time students though I have known their names since last semester. I did not dare ask any longer. I might take the whole hour. With the second period, I noticed her at the lobby, seated apart from the old timers but jolly nonetheless. Everyone who passed by her really turned their heads. So! She’s a head turner to begin with. I just passed by to check if there were any waiting for me in the room assigned. No one was there but I lingered for a moment, just in case there might be someone. And with that, a presence enveloped the room, settled silently in the most comfortable arm chair, distance and all. When I looked up, I felt my heart skip a beat. The last person I expected, yet the one I hoped to be there, was there. It was like having my first birthday wish coming true. I cleared my throat.

                “Good afternoon Sir!” she said with a smile, the kind that I have not seen for so long, indeed, for so very long now. It was enchanting. The whole room was filled by her and I began to float in dreaminess.

                “Are we going to have a class right now, Sir, Sir Uhhm?”

                “Chris. Chris de la Cruz. Well, you are alone. Do you have your class card?” she immediately fished from her shoulder bag. She glanced once more at me. I thought I recognized those kinds of eyes, glassy. Yes, contact lens.