#JustWriteDay - Reflections

Mirrors.

Some mirrors were filled with smoke, some were covered in gold and gems. The one that drew the little girl's attention was the one in the back corner that was solid black and held only the darkest futures.

"That one Mama!" The little girl whined and pulled on her mother's jacket. The mother smiled and bought the full length mirror for the daughter to grow up with. The mother expected the simple black mirror to be decorated with hearts and stars one day, but was shocked to see it look the same everyday.

"I️'m going to be the leader of the world,
Mama!" The little girl told her mother the next day. Everyday it was something new that the girl was going to do. The mother was kept on her toes guessing what it would be.

Yet, one night the no longer little girl stood in front of the mirror. When she was once barely half the height of the mirror, she was now tall and leaner.

"I'm going to make the best of today." She whispered to the mirror as she combed through the black curls in her hair to make it wavy. The girl turned into a woman in front of the mirror. She carefully traced a thick black kohl eyeliner to make her blue eyes pop. She brushed on a dull and resigned nude lipstick and contoured her cheeks. No light was left in her face.

She stared into her reflection and just looked at herself. All the unsaid words of the past and future all waiting to be said in the present. All her dreams and aspirations all tied back to one piece of glass and plastic frame. And one ever changing reflection.

Desperate not to undo the fresh makeup with her hot tears, she slipped on her matching black heels and was out the door. She walked the cold streets until she reached her car covered in snow.

Sighing, the woman got in her car and did everything not to look in any of the rear view mirrors. Not to see the face that reminded her so much of everything that could have been.

"What a way to celebrate the holidays." She said to herself as she felt a frown appear on her face.

She parked a block away from the home and took a moment to compose herself. Getting out of the car and dragging her feet towards the door was her newest issue.

Ignoring the person at the door, the woman walked straight to where the room was and stood there. She stood, not taking in her surroundings, and only blankly staring at the wall. It wasn't until a person tapped her on the shoulder that she turned.

"My condolences. You look just like her." An old lady said to the woman. The woman smiled and her facade broke as tears streamed down her face.

"Thank you." And the woman turned to her mother in the casket. A part of her reflection.