A Fresh Start

All was quite in the small peaceful one level house. The clock struck 7' o clock am on digital alarm, setting off a quite and predominant 'beep beep beep' noise, until an older Japanese woman stirred in her bed, reaching out a tired hand she struck the top button before her husband could complain of the noise. Sitting up, she shifted the blanket off of her body and got out of bed, slipping on her black slippers. Walking slowly out of the room she passed by a mirror, stopping for a moment to stare at her black eyes, adjusting her stiff black hair. Yawning, she moved to the door and opened it, peeking her head out of the room she looked down the hall to another closed door, her eyes scanning the bottom where she could see nothing but blackness. A gleam in her eyes then lit up, she raced down the hall and swung open the door. "First day of school ladies! Time to get up!" she said cheerfully, it would've appeared she had transformed into a completely different persona from the time she got out of bed to reaching the room down the hall. Upon switching on the lights, there were two separate beds wadded up with blankets, each of the blankets flinching from the shrewd voice and lights. The first girl on the left sat up, she barred a strong resemblance to the woman standing in the doorway, only her face had less wrinkles and her hair was longer, about down to her breast. 

"Yes mom." Eiko said with a yawn, rubbing her eyes slowly. 

The second girl rolled in her bed once, taking a bit longer to sit up. When the blankets fell off her head it was evident she was quite nearly the opposite from the older women. Her eyes and hair were a dark brown, only slightly lighter compared to the other two along with her, but her hair was full of curls, no straightness to it what so ever, and her skin was darker, a caramel shade that could've been described as a natural tan look. 

"Yes Mrs. Nakamura." she responded in English, rubbing her eyes slowly. 

Ayla was just about to start her first day of school in Japan. After her application was accepted in America when she was a sophmore, she waited one year until she was assigned an exchange family that lived near a school called Tōō Academy which was the school that her own was paying to allow her to attend. Ayla had been studying Japanese since middle-school, her Japanese still wasn't perfect and although she had been living with her exchange family for a month in advanced, she still often times forgot to speak Japanese, especially since they all usually spoke English with her in the household. During her short time here she found that many were willing to practice their knowledge of English rather than for her to need to practice Japanese, sometimes it was nice but other times she felt she needed to restrict herself if she wanted to become more fluent in her second language. 

Once the two girls took their time getting changed into their school uniforms and getting ready for school, they were greeted with two steaming plates of egg, toast, and ham. 

"Thank-you very much for the meal." Ayla practiced in Japanese when she sat down with Eiko. 

"Please be less formal with my dear. I've told you more than once we are all happy to have you here, just like family. Now excuse me, I'm going to go take this plate up to my husband." she said, smiling at the two before leaving the room.

"Are you nervous? Pretty exciting isn't it?" Eiko asked as soon as her mother left.

"Very nervous. I'm just glad my uniform fits okay to be honest, I'm not used to wearing a skirt, especially not to school." Ayla responded.

"You've only tried it on a million times! I told you your curves will be popular among the boys too!" she teased, flashing a smile at her foreign friend.

"Eiko! That's too embarrassing! Plus I'd rather be more skinnier like yo-"

"Oh stop with that already! Didn't you tell me you used to be self-conscious and shy in America and wanted to start fresh right? That has to start today, have some confidence in your cuteness or you'll never find a guy." she said.