Chapter 1 (Claire)

I was waiting for the elevator, tapping my foot and looking at my watch again. 10 minutes late. It was one of those days. You know, one where everything went wrong and all you wanted to do was to get home and go to bed again. Okay, so maybe it wasn't exactly like one of those days. The only thing that went bad was the bus ride. Today of all days, when I decided to take to bus, it was delayed. And I had a very important meeting I had to attend, and it would be nice to prepare first.

Ding!                                             

Finally! I went into the elevator and waited until it reached the 18th floor before I pushed through the crowd of people and walked towards my workplace. When I was little, all I talked about was becoming a doctor but that never happend and now I had been working in advertisement for two years. I was now almost 20 minutes late which meant I didn't have much time left to prepare. I guess this is the punishment for being lazy today and go by bus. Karma is a bitch! 

I looked up from my watch and made eyecontact with the one person I didn't feel like talking to today. 

Adam J. Holden. 

He was walking towards the elevator, giving me a smirk when he saw me. He wore a suit as usual but with no tie. I would lie if I said he wasn't attractive, but to me, he would never be anything else than the annoying guy from my school. 

- Good morning Everton! Always a pleasure to see you. 

- Yes, just a thrill. 

The sarcasme dripping of my lips. 

- Can't you see I'm busy?

He smirked at me.

- Of course. Why do you think I stopped you?

I gave him a death glare before walking around him, heading towards my office.

Him and I had a pretty long history, and believe me, it's not a happy one. We have known each other since primary school; we even went to the same high school. Not in the same class, since luckily he is one year older. But we were never friends. Not even close! I have always had stage fright and in 4th grade when we were doing a play in school I accidentally threw up on stage.  Since that day he made it his life goal to tease me.

As we grew older, the teasing turned into sarcastic remarks from both of us.

High school was the worst. At some point he even scared a boy away from me, by telling him untrue stories about me. When high school was over, I had never felt happier. I never had to see him ever again.

Or so I thought!

When I was told I had gotten the job here at A.C Advertisement I was thrilled! When I lost interest in becoming a doctor advertisement had been the thing for me and this was my big chance. It wasn't a big company but people were friendly and it gave me a lot of experience. It was located in a big building full of compnies. One on them being the company in which Adam Holden was employed. I still remember my first day at work, those two years ago.

Nervous and happy at the same time. But everything went well, I got to meet Hannah and Beth who was really nice towards me and showed me around the floor. Since that day we usually ate lunch together in the cafeteria. 

A few weeks after my first day we all sat down in the cafeteria at lunch time, which happened to be on our floor in the building. We were in deep, talking about the weekend and Beths latest date, when I looked up and almost choked on my food. I had to blink a few times before I looked down and up again, to see if I had just imagined things. No freaking way! What was HE doing here?! Suddenly we made eye contact and his smile turned into the smirk, he always seemed to be wearing, whenever he looked at me.