Hook

She was an art student, he was a biology student. The chances of them ever meeting were slim to none, but somehow they kept crossing paths. At some point she started to notice him. Becoming familiar with seeing his face around every other day. One time she almost said hi, like he was a friend, but then realised they'd never even spoken.

One day their gazes met ad they passed, both making their way to class, at least she was, she just he was too as she didn't know anything about him or his academic occupation. It was a brief glance and they both broke it in an instant. She wondered why he broke it so quickly, he could just dislike eye contact or strangers, but she just became curious whether he had also noticed her.

When she told a friend, who followed the art history classes with her, her friend told her that she should just go to him and ask if he'd like to have a drink with her. She told her friend she was crazy and that she couldn't just do that. Then, her friend told her that she was a pussy and sat down in the classroom and the conversation was over as the teacher started checking attendance.

The next day, she overslept, having stayed up watching some documentary with her housemates till too late, and was rushing towards her first class, when they crossed paths once again.

Her scarf had been loose already when she raced her way to campus on her rickety bike, but while she was tearing over the sidewalk to the art building, it gave away and fell on the ground. She groaned loudly, being a tad dramatic from time to time. She bowed down and picked it up, but as she went to stand straight again and immediately start running again, she ran into someone. Without thinking, she started apologising profusely, cursed and ran off.

Only when she sat down in the lecture hall, being only just in time, she realised the face she'd seen but not really registered yet in her hurry. 'Oh god, did I really run have to run into him of all people?' And of course, it's not like they'd ever met or anything, but she had considered asking him out, damned her shyness. But he'd probably seen her face and if she suddenly were to go up to him now to ask him out, it'd be really awkward.

She slouched down in her chair slightly, letting the encounter determine her mood for the rest of the day. Cursing in her head, she pulled her notebook and pen out of her bag and started to listen to the lecture, deciding that how shitty her day may be, she wasn't going to miss important notes over a random boy.

About an hour later she walked outside, glad that the class was over for no particular reason than just being free again. She made her way towards the coffee cart, buying some tea. She curled her hands around the steaming hot cup, as it was extremely cold outside and the moment she had stepped outside she had regretted not bringing her gloves. Although, that was her own fault, thanks to oversleeping.

She started on her way to where she had parked her bike and took small sips from her cup, burning her mouth a bit, but also warming her on the inside. Trying to fight the cold even more, she pulled her hood over her head, hair protesting and sticking out from under it. She sighed and went to stand in front of one of the nearest building's windows, seeing how a bunch of her hair was sticking out and being frizzy in general. With one hand holding her cup of tea, she tried to shove some of the hair under her hood with the other.

When she was satisfied with the way she looked she continued walking.

She suddenly realised that she couldn't ride her bike with her tea, so she was going to have to stand out in the cold with it, waiting for it to cool a bit, and only then when she would already be cold to the bone, she could go home. Yeah, okay, she really didn't feel like that.

For a moment, she thought about what to do and found that her best chance was to go the library around the corner for a bit and sit in the foyer for a bit. She walked to the library and sat down on one of the benches at the entrance, inside.