Chapter One

I've never liked school and possibly never will. The Way I see it they just teach you stuff you'll never use unless you get an office job or you're in school. So I do what I must, but I mostly sketch. Sketching is my way of escape from reality. People call me a spacer saying that "I should just give up" or that "this world doesn't need some one like me", but there's one person who loves and who is fascinated with my imagination.
I sit and stare at the clock waiting for the bell to ring, the teachers lesson going in one ear and out the other. This, This was the last day before Christmas break. I start closing my note book when my teacher calls my name, "Grace Conu please answer question 26." . I flinched but softly smiled flipping to that page and stood up about to answering, "Nio went east before his brother, sorry if it seemed i wasn't paying attention Mr. Minyago." He simply nodded. "Good work miss. Conu.".
The bell rings and everyone clears the rooms and filled the hall. This is the bridge that you either love or hate. It's the bridge between captivity and freedom. I walk to my locker putting on my hoodie. I open my locker and fix my hoodie from tucking under it. " you never fail to be the first to leave do ya Gracie? " a voice says from the other side of the locker door. "You already know why." I replied calmly putting my bookbag strap over my shoulder and closing my locker. "Yah yah I know you could relax a bit." He replied putting his arm over my shoulders and started walking. I slightly flinch, " um.. Mason what are you doing?" I asked looking at him while we walk. "Me? Oh nothing just making sure no one flirts with my lil' friend." He replies smiling happily at my embarrassment .
"So where are we going!" I asked as he leads me towards the parking lot. "Well I thought we should go get coffee I mean we've known each other since like the second grade-" He paused as his phone started ringing. "Hello? .." He asked answering it. I blurred his conversation out focusing on a small bird laying on its side near the bike stand. I calmly walked over and crouch down taking off my scarf and wrapping around the bird. It looked at me seeming lost and scared. I put it in one hand and dug for the small bag of crackers I got at lunch with my salad that I put in my pocket.
The small bird nuzzled into my scarf trying to keep warm. I smiled as a hand touched my shoulder making me flinch, "Who's that?" Mason asked crouching down next to me. " i haven't named him. " I replied running my finger gently over the small birds head. Mason chuckled a bit, "we should get home to get warm." He said standing back up. I followed softly placing the bird in my hoodie pocket letting him head lay on the rim of it .
Mason unlocked his car opening the passenger side door for me and I sat down feeling a shiver run up my spine from the cold seat. Mason started the car and turned on the heating, "is he warm?" He asked backing out of the parking spot. I lay the bird in my lap, " asleep actually. ".