Eleanor Roosevelt

Born Anna Eleanor Roosevelt on October 11, 1884, in New York City, USA. Her parents were Anna Hall-Roosevelt and Elliot Roosevelt. Her uncle was Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the USA. She was raised in a wealthy family that put heavy emphasis on community service. Unfortunately, tragedy struck when she was still very young, both her parents died before she was 10 and she lost her brother, Elliot Jr, when she was 9. Eleanor and her last living brother, Gracie Hall were raised by their grandmother in Manhattan and Tivoli, New York. 

Growing up Eleanor was solemn and clumsy but this all changed when she was sent to Allenswood Academy, a school for girls in England, when she was 15. She excelled under the guidance of Marie Souvestre, the school's headmistress; who was a activist for women's rights, encouraging girls to be independent and goal-oriented. She graduated when she was 18, returning to New York and made her "social debut" at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. On her return to the US, she became very involved in work for charities, as well as reform for politics and society. She was a volunteer teacher at Manhattan's Rivington Street Settlement House and joined the National Consumer's League, whose mission it was to end unsafe working conditions and labor practices. 

On March 17, 1905, at the age of 20, she married Franklin D. Roosevelt, a Harvard student and her fifth cousin once removed. Franklin and Eleanor had met as children and had become reacquainted after she came back to the US, after studying abroad. They were married in Manhattan's Upper East Side and Eleanor's uncle, Theodore walked her down the aisle. Together they had six children: James, Anna, Franklin, Elliot, John and Franklin. 

Franklin began his political career in 1910 when he was elected to the New York State senate. Three years later he was became the assitant secretary of the US Navy, a position he held until 1920, when he attempted to run for American vice presidency and failed. During her marriage, Eleanor continued her humanitarian work, volunteering at the American Red Cross and navy hospitals during WW1. In the 20's she became active in democratic politics and joined organizations including the Women's Union Trade League and Women's Vote League. Eleanor also cofounded Val-Kill Industries, a non-profit furniture factory, in Hyde Park, New York and taught American history and literature at Todhunter School, an all-girls private school in Manhattan. 

In 1921, Franklin was diagnosed with polio, which left him paralyzed from the waist down. Eleanore encouraged her husband to return to politics and in 1928 he was elected as the govenor of New York; six years later he was elected to the White House. Eleanor was initially reluctant to step into the role of First Lady, since she knew she would lose her hard-earned independence and have to give up her position at Todhunter School, as well as other charities and organizations she was dedicated too. However when Franklin Roosevelt was sworn in as president in March 1933, she steadily began making changes to the role; transforming it from "hostess" to one where she was more directly involved in her husband's government. 

Eleanor and her husband entered the White House in the middle of the Great Depression which started last approximately from 1929 until 1941. One of the first things Franklin did once he was in office was pass the "New Deal", which encompassed a number of "economic recovery initiatives". As first lady, Eleanor travelled all over the US, acting as her husband's eyes and ears, reporting back to him regularly, after she had visited government institutions, programs and numerous other places. Eleanor was an advocate for several groups, including, African-Americans, women, the poor and youth. She was also known for holding press-conferences for female reporters only, at a time when women were usually prevented from attending press-conferences at the White House. 

During WWII she advocated for European immigrants who were coming into the US. Eleanor also spoke out about issues concerning the American military, working to boost morale and encouraged people to volunteer on the home front. As well as encouraging women to seek employment in the defence industry. On top of all that she also continued promoting New Deal programs, against the wishes of a number of her husband's advisors. 

The Roosevelt's were one of the most notable political pairings in US history but they had a complex personal life. Early in their marriage, in 1918, Eleanor discovered her husband was having an affair with her secretary, Lucy Mercer. Eleanor suggested they get divorced but Franklin chose to stay in the marriage. This could be for a number of reasons, including the stigma against divorce that would've impacted his political career. It is believed the discovery of her husband's infidelity prompted Eleanor to devote herself even more to various political, economic and humanitarian causes. Though Franklin promised never to see Lucy Mercer again they eventually resumed contact and it is said that she was at his bedside, when he died from a brain hemorrhage (bleeding in the brain), on April 12, 1945. Previously in November he had been elected for a 4th term, which up until that point, had never happened before in American politics. 

When her husband died she chose to remain very active as a "private citizen", despite rumors that she would run for office. She divided her time between Val-Kill cottage (the former furniture factory had been turned into a home), Hyde Park and an NY apartment. For two years (1961-62) she headed the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women. Other organisations she took part in in the last years of her life were, National for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the advisory council for the Peace Corps. Over the course of her life she wrote almost 30 books and over 8000 columns in the newspaper, My Day. 

Eleanor Roosevelt passed away in New York, on November 7, 1962, at the age of 78. Her death was caused by aplastic anemia (when bone marrow stops producing new blood cells), tuberculosis and heart failure. Her funeral was attended by than president, John F. Kennedy and former presidents, Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower. She was buried next to her husband, on the grounds of the Roosevelt Estate in Hyde Park, New York.

http://www.history.com/topics/first-ladies/eleanor-roosevelt