Prologue

I heard the music as I entered the room, but all that was there was a violin, lay there on it's back on the bare floorboards. One minute it was playing and the next it wasn't. I knew the song well because my father always hummed it to me right before I went to bed.

I walked further into the room and picked up the violin. I felt the strings pulled together by each end of the bow. The fine wood made by the most delicate hands. I realized that I wasn’t alone when my gaze landed on a man staring out the window.

The window was slightly opened placing a light breeze on his hair, as the setting sun left a goldish highlight to his hair. The shadow from the sun lay over his mouth, as he pulls the cigarette from his lips and bleeds the smoke into the atmosphere. I watch in wonder as the smoke tints the window and fogs it up. I walk over to him and lightly pull his sleeve, motioning for him to take the violin out of my hand.

As he grabs it, our fingers brush against each other and there’s an explosion of tingles that flow through my whole body. My eyes focus on his lips as my gaze drifts up past the features all over his face, eventually reaching his eyes. I take notice of the slight arch of his nose, the light stubble that has gathered on his cheeks, the shadows his eyelashes cast over his cheeks.

Everything about his features was so overwhelmingly apparent that I reached up to touch it but he grabbed my hand halfway. He took the violin out of my hand and sat down in the chair that was placed in the middle of the room. His hands grabbed the bow and glided over the strings of the violin, flooding the room with the song that was nearly engraved in my bones.

I tiptoed over to him so as not to disturb his concentration, then crossed my legs and fell to the floor in a sort of ungraceful curtsy. I felt the song rise up from my very being and expel from my mouth with so much power, I’m almost surprised it came from me.

I hear my voice follow the ups and downs that the violin takes and glance up to see that he’s smiling behind the violin. I take in all the satisfaction that is given by that one gesture as the sun casts a warm glow over the strings of his violin.