Empty

This is a oneshot I entered into a school writing contest and so far it actually won the school level and has moved on to the district level.

Hope you enjoy!

Emotion, the complete downfall to humans. It manipulates the host and turns the person against its own species. Growing at times to create an exaggeration and only focus on nothing but itself.

Living in a world where emotion dominates every human tendency becomes annoying and pointless. What is life if you always go through torturous events fueled by feeling? It wouldn't be so bad if sentiments didn't control people so much. It wouldn't hurt as bad if emotions couldn't completely in-prison a person's mind and take the reins of our bodies. If they couldn't make us feel empty like a jar, with hollowness burning deep inside. If feeling wasn't our main function, it wouldn't be as impactful as it is.

Living in a society where emotion is the dictator can be tough, therefore I am grateful for the way society evolved from before.

Before we, of course, felt everything and it charged our actions. But, once I turned about twenty-five, scientists and psychologists created an advancement in biology. They created a way to reconfigure humans and remove their ability to feel emotion.

They decided that they would reconfigure the current population of Earth, so eventually future generations would be passed down the trait genetically. Until then, multiple people would undergo a surgical process of the brain to safely remove our feelings.

This excited me, emotions completely ruined my life, so imagining a world without them seemed like a heaven I couldn't yet reach.

After going through the process I couldn't feel anything. Compassion, love, sadness, everything was gone, like it was wiped away and replaced with a blank slate. Yet this slate couldn't be recolored. Thanks to this procedure, the slate would stay forever blank.

After living for three years in a world with no feeling, I've learned it's a wonderful way to live. I can live my life however I please without any worry at all. Usually I would find something to make me sad and stop me from living how I planned, or find a reason to be angry at someone and lose a friend.

But here, you don't have to worry about emotions taking over your life. You don't have to worry about feeling empty thanks to a certain thing a certain emotion did. Here you can live life however you choose, and along the way, it goes however you impact it, not reflecting off of a way you feel about something.

Before this procedure, I hated life solely for the reason that emotions controlled it. Emotions are beneficial if you feel a positive one, unfortunately the negative ones seem to overlay the positive.

Particularly in my case, I was cursed with countless negative emotions. My feelings decided that the best way to live my life was with only the negatives. Never did I meet a positive emotion in my life, up until the news of the procedure.

My worst enemy was love, everywhere love is seen as something beautiful, the soul purpose of living is to find it. But once I found it, it was like being stabbed in the chest, not only did it hurt to love someone, but what hurt the most was what that person did to me. I was ripped apart by small events that my emotions decided to increase the size of.

Every feeling of love was masked by a feeling of doubt, or hurt. Everything was breaking inside of me, like I was a broken china doll. As if I could trace the cracks along my skin to find the source of the pain, I could be put back together with a sticky substance.

But there was no glue around, and there was no crack that lead to my brain.

One particular person crossed my mind. Every day I thought about him, he was my love and only that. My boyfriend, Jacob, the only person in my life that could make me feel somewhat happy.