sorry i didn't kiss you...

two young boys sat on a hill, the moon peeking out from the clouds and shining on them both like a spot light.

you'd think two best friends would have more to say to each other, but things had gone from good to awkward quickly. silas wasn't really sure why he was still here while things were so weird. then again, dan was his buddy home, so he couldn't just leave. besides, he hated the dark too much to walk alone. and dan wasn't sure why he hadn't suggested they leave, but he felt like things should be resolved so they wouldn't just drift apart after this.

nothing bad had happened, necessarily. a few hours ago, feelings had lingered in the air. things happened, but not in the way you'd expect.

"i can't walk any fuuurtheeerrr," sal complained, dragging his feet as he walked slowly behind dan.

"dear lord, you're impossible." dan knelt so sal could climb onto his back.

"yayyy!!" he climbed onto dan and grinned wide, "thanks."

dan grumbled something unintelligible, but was smiling nonetheless.

"where are we headed anyways?" sal piped up after a few minutes of walking.

"just wait, it's a surprise."

"but i wanna knowwww!" silas whined with a pout.

"c'mon, just wait. i promise it'll be worth the wait."

he sighed, "fine."

as they walked, silas began quietly singing under his breath. not too loud, because he knew his voice was terrible despite what dan said, but loud enough for it to reach dan's ears. dan would have joined in, but he was a little out of breath since he was carrying a 108 pound ball of energy that kept shifting impatiently on his back.

"alright, close your eyes," dan suddenly said.

"what? why? are you gonna put a spider on me?" slight worry crept into sal's voice at the last question, but dan just laughed.

"no, no, i wouldn't do that. trust me."

"...okay..." he closed his eyes, and dan slipped through a few trees and crested the hill. he sat and held silas on his lap: to some, a seemingly weird position for friends, but they were so close that they didn't mind.

"alright, you can look now."

silas slowly opened his murky pond water hazel coloured eyes, and saw a beautiful orange sunset with pink and purple stripes dancing across the sight. a soft gasp slipped between his lips in a pleasant surprise.

"wow, its... its beautiful, danpan."

"isn't it? i thought you would like it." he wore a huge smile, happy to have made sal smile. you see, dan really liked making silas smile; he was just that kind of selfless guy. he put everyone before himself and had an endless supply of kindness. but silas knew dan deserved so much more than he gave himself, and he made sure his best friend knew it. although usually sal was a complete bitch and quite the handful, he was always sweet to dan. well, most of the time, anyways. and dan never stopped being kind to sal. they were just that close.

"i really do like it. actually, i love it." he turned his face and smiled wide, his eyes shining as he met dan's.

dan's smile grew and something slipped into the atmosphere. with their lips so close to one another's that they could feel the other's breath and the tranquility and peacefulness of the moment, sal felt something in his heart twinge. he wanted to kiss dan so badly...

dan held his breath, feeling the same emotion in the air, but the moment was quickly broken as sal turned his head and stared out at the sunset.

nothing was said, exactly, but the specialness of the moment was lost.

sal rolled off of dan's lap and laid on his stomach. dan sat back, crisscross applesauce, watching sal quietly.

that was where they had left off. time had passed and now the sun had gone and it was dark. the moon and stars provided enough light to see by, though, and that was enough for the both of them.

a little cold and tired of waiting, dan spoke quietly into the chilly fall air. "we should get going."

silas nodded, not saying anything and stood. the silence was thick as they walked back towards the town.

dan, being the polite gentleman he is, said he would walk silas home. sal agreed and off they went.

when they reached his house, dan pulled sal into a hug before he could escape into the house. slowly but surely, sal wrapped his arms around dan and hugged back.

they finished and dan pulled back, but silas wasn't done. he stood on his tippy toes, even then not reaching the towering giant's height so dan smiled to himself and bent down a bit.

sal got close to dan's ear and bit his lip nervously before speaking and retreating into the house.

"sorry i didn't kiss you... but it's obvious i wanted to."