Chapter 1

Aelin
Her back scorched, the pain throbbing, so unbearable that even after all those years of suffering could never compare to the blinding pain now seared her body, threatening to kill her, to end her. She would welcome it, had seen it coming, when she let Lorcan, the traitorous Demi-fae, turn her in. "Nameless is my price"
Even now, Elena's words still echoed through her head, reminding her the price she must pay, the sacrifice she must make. She had been willing to do so, because her very existence had been made, had been honed and sharpened like a blade, a weapon, had been tortured, had suffered, had comforted, had blessed and been blessed, solely for this. And she understood that her mere existence was worthless, and a stain for the greater good, the future. So the Queen of Terassen smiled, smiled through her tears as she pictured her beloved, grasping for the memory of them, their smiles and their laughter and the twinkle in their eyes, and, most importantly, the future that could have happened, one that she would never, ever have. And all the power that she preserved inside, that warm light of hope that she kept, she used them all, flung them to her beloved: a shape shifter with a broken soul, a cousin- the mighty general that has loved her so, so much, a prince with his unusual love for books and a fierce heart that always tells him what's right, the witch with the mind of steel but also a kind heart, and... and...
Rowan.
King of Terassen
Warrior
Her equal
Her carranam
Her love
And her mate.
And then, she used all of her powers, burning the wards around her, reaching them, and sending them a message:
I love you and I'm sorry
Before the light guttered out of her.