Chapter 1

I lie, chained up and alone, as I've always been.

Then he comes.

He creeps slowly into my vision, blocking any view that I previously had. He grins, a dark, evil smile. A smile that has become too familiar, forever etched deep within my brain. It haunts me, the way his lips peel back and his perfect, white teeth stand bold and bright. The way the dim light bulb in the room cascades its light on the saliva coating his teeth, making it glimmer.

He is perfection.

He has haunted me, day and night, at random moments in time, throughout these past years. His smile, so sinister, yet also so breathtaking. The edges of his lips curls when he smiles, reminding me of the Grinch. My eyes slowly connect with his as I glace up. His dark, black eyes shine bright with hope. The darkness and pure sadness that dwelled within them made me shudder.

I was staring directly into the eyes of Death.

He hopes and waits patiently for me to give in to my desires. He haunts my dreams with visions of the afterlife, of how welcome I would be there with him, rather than here, chained down forever in this room that suffocates me with sorrowful and piting thoughts. He blocks my thoughts out, making them narrow in on the only thing I truly crave.

I hope and I try every night, sometimes at day, to join him. I hope that distancing myself , being mean and rude, avoiding everyone, keeping to myself, making everyone hate me, will bring me closer to him. I hope that when I leave to join him, when I cut deep enough, when I finally jump, when I load the gun, when I drink too much and take enough pills that it'll lessen the pain everyone would feel; no one would miss me.

Death grabs my hand gently, entwining our fingers together. His cold, slender fingers absorbs the heat from my own, but somehow I am still kept warm. The chains and shackles that had once locked me in place were now gone and I was free to move. He gently pulled me up, holding me close. I drew in a shuddering breath as he let go of my hand. I had finally gotten close to him, close enough to touch and feel his dark embrace around me.

I was afraid he'd slip away so I wrapped me arms around his thin torso tightly, realizing how tall he was compared to me. He hugged me back, his arms caging me in. The embrace Death enclosed by body in should have made me feel cold and uncomfortable but oddly, I felt safe in his arms. He was strong and he radiated power as someone like him should, but alas he held me as if I were a fragile thing; a butterfly whose wings were already broken.

I looked up to him and was immediately captivated again by his mesmerizing, dark eyes. "Let go." he said coolly, his voice rough and gravelly. "Let go and join me."

I looked at my arms, no longer bounded by the chains. I was alone in this decision. I stared longer at my arms, the scars visible and fresh, blood slowly dripping onto the floor from the words I had engraved into my skin.

The voice, the venomous voice I detested, my own voice, whispered in my head, encouraging me with hateful words, to join Death in the afterlife, to be free of the pain.

So i did.

I let go.

I nodded at Death, and that was all the permission needed.

I never once glanced back as I slipped away under the veil of death, a cool, firm grip wrapped securely around my numb, bloody wrist, guiding me slowly into the afterlife.

***********
Interpret Death in any way you wish. For me, he is the physical embodiment of Death itself.

Vote, Comment & Share :')

Thanks.