Prologue-Like Caged Rats

Like Caged Rats

Prologue-

My name is Eva Carmichal, I am 23 years old and I have long blonde hair and icy blue eyes. I was a biologist before England was shut off from the rest of the world. I worked in a lab investigating treatments and cures and I loved it; I new since I was a little girl that I wanted to follow in my fathers footsteps.

Now everything has changed. England is no longer a happy popular country, instead it is a forgotten land which I am trapped inside.

Over one year ago, England was struck with a disease like no other. Nobody knows how the disease started or why. Was it as simple as a blood deficiency which went undetected or was it an intentional strike from a terrorist who wanted England and the people who lived there to suffer? Nobody knows and nobody ever will.

It was up to people like my father and me to find a cure for this horrific disease before it was too late. But we failed. The disease spread. England and everybody in it had to be blocked off from the rest of the world. Like caged rats, and not a thought spare for the uncontaminated people.

More and more people became infected while my father and I searched for a cure but to no avail. All of my family became contaminated and I was forced to run.

It has been over a year since I lost them and I am still searching for a cure. I have managed to avoid the creatures so far but it won't be long until I am caught. I hide out wherever I can and they haven't found my secret lab yet where I test for cures.

I hate to think of my family as those creatures who hunt for innocent people so they can turn them into one of them. That's all they care about; creating more. Their skin becomes a sickly pale colour, almost grey and their eyes lose all colour apart from the pupil which becomes enlarged. All control is lost and they become crazy. They don't eat, they don't sleep, and all human personality and thought is lost. Their strength is improved enormously but speed remains the same. To become infected the human has to be bitten so that the diseased saliva's in the blood stream. The change is faster if the human is bitten numerous times on the body.

England is now a hunting ground for these creatures. The surviving humans-if there are any more- are trapped by cement walls the size of mountains, built to prevent anyone and anything getting out. Their was no need to put anything in the water because the diseased are allergic to it. If their skin comes in contact with water it blisters and burns and quickly melts away.

It is up to me now to find a cure and to save the human race because if I don't I know the diseased will stop at nothing to get to the rest of the world.

And I know they will find a way out eventually.

-------------------------------------

New story for the Watty Awards! Please tell me what you think...