This Is Why I Don't Socialize

Rosa hands me a cup of alcohol, which I take graciously to calm my nerves from being at this party. "Dude, you're fine. Hayden's not even going to show. He's in New York." I roll my eyes and cradle the cup to my chest so nobody can drop it from my hands. "You're awfully quiet today, are you okay?" I shrug.

"Bill and I had a fight this morning and I had to go home because I can't face him after that and Dad got mad because apparently, I've been avoiding his calls and texts but I haven't been getting any of them so I don't know why he's so up my ass about that." I come clean, leaning against the marble counter. Rosa just stares at me, contemplating something. "What are you thinking, Rosey?" 

"Do you think Bill is blocking your dad's calls because he's caught on?" I shake my head. 

"There's no way. I don't even talk about my family so there's no way he can know." She shrugs and looks to her right, going pale. "What?" I look over as well, my chest clutching tight, making my heart jump into my throat. "What's he doing here?" 

"I must have gotten wrong information, he wasn't supposed to be back until next week." I drop my head when he looks over at our direction, trying to hide from his gaze. "We can dip if you want." 

"Nah, I can dodge him. You go have fun, I'll be in the back." She giggles and heads to the dance floor, grabbing the attention of some of the boys. I sneak out the back door as Hayden walks back towards the front of the house. 

I sit on the grass, back against the weeping willow in the corner of the lot scrolling through my phone and chewing on the edge of my empty solo cup. I look up when the sliding glass doors open. The music carries out behind the blacked out figure, making me cringe at the loud bass. The person makes a beeline towards me. "What's up, Rose?" I ask, assuming it's my best friend who's in such a rush to get to me. 

"Sorry to disappoint, Bear." I jump up from the ground when I hear Hayden's deep voice assaults my ears. "Don't get up on my account, Darling." He comes face to face with me after nearly a year of not seeing him. 

"Get out of my way, Pimentel." I try to push passed him, only for him to try to block me by standing in my path. 

"Oh, come on, Doll. Why don't we sit out here and talk like old times?" I push him away and rush towards the doors. Hayden grabs my arm roughly, making me drop my phone at his feet. "Hey, where are you going? I thought you were going to talk to me." My throat closes up with unease as his hand starts to tighten around my arm. I shake my head, pulling my arm away as best as I can. "Come on, Bear." 

"Please don't." I plead, childishly. Hayden sees the fear in my eyes. The last bit of humanity the boy owns flashes through his eyes before he lets go of my arm and picks up my phone for me. 

"I'm... I'm sorry, May." I take my phone and sprint into the house, dodging into the first closet I can find. My fingers shake with anxiety as I unlock my phone, trying my best to find my boyfriend's contact through my haze of fear. 

He answers after a couple of rings, sounding slightly pissed off and sleepy. "What, Bernie?" I choke down any tears and my pride. 

"I know you're mad at me and that we still have a lot to talk about, but I'm at this party and Hayden is here and I'm pretty sure he's bruised me and I've had too much to drink to drive home. You don't have to come pick me up yourself if you're still mad at me, you can send Alex or someone, but I can't be here anymore or I swear to God I'm going to die of an anxiety attack." 

"What's the address, Björn?" I breathe out in relief when Bill calls me my nickname in Swedish, telling him I'll text him the address. I sit in the closet for another ten minutes, scrolling through my dying phone to occupy my time.