The Beginning, Middle, and End

So this is from when I was like....16? I'm embarrassed to say, I submitted this for a writing assignment. But we grow & we learn, I promise I got slightly better over the years :)

...............................................................................................................................................................

I'm Lana Moore and if you saw me walking on the street, you would take me for just any random girl. I have my hair up, my feet in designer sneakers, a Coach swung over my shoulder, and I'm listening to music on my I-pod nano. In fact I just be that, if it weren't for the fact I am celebrating my 154th birthday in three days, and I drink blood. I was born in 1853, to my parents Shashank and Padma Moore at 11:59 on Friday, May 13.

I'm a private detective, and right now I'm on a case; I'm on the trail of a stake-happy- Van Helsing wannabe. And while I am forced to sit in this little outdoor café waiting for "Van" to come out, I'll take the time to explain some things out Artilitheians or as humans refer to them, vampires. This should take while.

          First of all we can go out in the sun; we just tend not to because this increases the need for blood. Second, we can eat, although most vampires get tired after about 100-150 years. Third, we are smarter and more physically capable of things than humans- a weak vampire would have the strength of five healthy humans; this means a strong vampire has the strength of about twenty healthy individuals. Fourth, vampires can read and control thoughts, but we are taught from an early age that this only to be done in the case of an emergency. An example would be if we are discovered, or we are in a situation where we are in dire need of blood and can only feed from the source. This brings us to the biggest fact; yes of course vampires drink blood. We used to drink it straight from the source, humans, but because of the recent invention of blood banks, we can feed without disturbing anybody. I would also like to take this opportunity to correct some myths- Vampires are not reclusive; in fact, if you looked closely enough you would notice that many of your local and national politicians are one of us. Another thing which is not true is we are not, I repeat, not, soulless monsters out to control the world. We are a group of Artilitheians from the long lost island of Artilitheia; this is also the reason we are so smart. We are not dead, infact our organs are wonderfully in shape, we are also able to have kids; this is also the way I came about, I was born a vampire. Another thing is we do not turn into bats, or any other animal; those are the shape shifters, like my friend Muskaan and her mate Rahul. 

See, what really happened was the scientists of Artilitheia managed to develop a nanochip that enables our bodies to quickly regenerate any cell that gets killed in our bodies; this also keeps our bodies safe from the effects of the sun, pollution etc. the chip also stopped aging. At that time, as scientifically developed as we were, we had no idea that there were other people in this world; due to the fact the ancient Artilitheians were initially very much weak, like a regular human. They focused their research on genetics in order to overcome that weakness. Then one day a volcano that had been dormant for over 300,000 years blew up, everyone knew there was no way to escape but through the sea. The nation used all our 50,000 ships to get people and supplies off the doomed island. After a few weeks at sea, everyone was famished and there seemed to be no way of survival, then, one day someone saw a strip of land over the horizon. The dog -tired Artilitheian sailors quicked their pace, and soon they were on the land. That land was India, it was largely uninhabited, and so, my parents along with the rest of the Artilitheians inhabited it.

That was over 12,000 years ago. Since then, Artilitheians have adapted to our new environment. For those of us born in the Americas, fitting in was easy, as this was how they were raised. I however, was raised in India. As I told you earlier, our main source of nourishment is blood, and about ninety years ago, humans came upon the idea of blood banks, which, just between you and me, was really planted in some important associates' minds by my uncle, Roberto.