Chapter 1: Morning Waves

As the sun hits the splashing waves of the North Pacific Ocean, the light shimmers into the window of an undersea castle undiscovered by mankind.
Through the window, we see a large clam shell bed sitting in the center of a beautiful room. A young woman... No. A young mermaid lays draped ever so delicately across the bed. Her cyanine tail hanging over the edge, the translucent light blue fins swaying with the movement of the water. They almost resemble peacock feathers with their different colors. Her bright pink hair almost sparkling as the light of the sun refracts. Her eyes flutter open and she begins to shift in her bed.
"Morning already?" she says as she lets out a loud yawn.
She pushes off the bed and swims over to a shell-framed vanity. Her hair a pink tangled mess, she grabs a comb and delicately brushes her locks.
"Sereia!" a voice shouts.
The young mermaid whips around to where she heard the voice coming from.
"Be there in a second mother!" She responds. Sereia quickly puts her hair up in a bun and swims through the corridors of the beautiful castle. As she passes various sea creatures, she flutters her fingers and wishes them all a good morning and each creature bows and returns the good morning.
"Good morning, Princess." A hammerhead shark greets Sereia as she makes her way to the table.
"Good morning, Marrazo!" She greets the shark with a sweet smile.
"Sereia, you overslept." Queen Nereida said as she watched her daughter fidget with her pearl head piece, a sort of tiara for the young princess, struggling to keep the star against her forehead.
"Got it!" Sereia exclaims with great pride.
"Are you listening?" The Queen says.
"I'm sorry, mother. I was just really tired." Sereia replies apologetically.
"Well if you wouldn't stay out so late..."
"Oh mom. It's really not all that serious."
"Yes it is Sereia." said King Merrik. Giving a stern look to his daughter as he entered the room.
"You're mother and I are fully aware that you wander out to where the humans are most active and we don't approve of such behavior."
"But dad, I only-"
"No! You should know better than to disobey the single most important rule to all merfolk: Never go near the humans."
"You're father is right dear." said the queen as she continued with her breakfast, also grabbing one of her young sons by the tail as he swam past her giggling.
"And just where do you think you're going young man?"
"I was just-" started the young prince Moises.
"No."
"Aww mom."
"Sit down and have breakfast. You have lessons soon."
The teenager groaned in disappointment and sat at the table with his family.
"Now" the Queen continued as she looked back at Sereia,"what were we saying?"
She paused for a moment.
"Oh right. Sereia you're 25 years old. Do we honestly have to keep reminding you of your duties and of the rules?"
Sereia sighed... She knew this was one discussion she was not going to get out of.
She knew the rules. She knew that, above all else, merfolk were to avoid humans at all costs. Ever since she was a child, her parents and every other adult always talked about humans as if they were horrible monsters. But Sereia was so fascinated by them. But most importantly, she was fascinated by the incredible music she would hear when she was near them. Sereia has been passionate about music all her life. But growing up as a mermaid has its limitations. Though her heart would always cherish the music she grew up listening to, tropical rhythms created by drums and other under sea instruments, she was drawn to the strange yet beautiful sounds she heard from the music the humans would play.
She would sneak out at night and spend time but the shores and watch the humans enjoy their time on the beaches.
She especially loved to swim by the pier. The Ferris wheel with its bright lights and the just hearing all the joy and laughter coming from the people. There were points where she felt like she envied the humans... Not having the responsibilities of overseeing the well being of all creatures and for the sea itself.
Her mind continued to wander as her mother continued to lecture her.
"Are we clear Sereia?" Her father said to her.
"Yes dad." she replied, not truly knowing what it is he was talking about since she didn't pay any attention to her mother.
"Good. Now finish up with breakfast and then you're off to carry out your duties. A few of the citizens need your help."
"Yes dad, I'll get to it after I fix my hair."
"Sweetie your hair is fine as is. Please stop with that childish thing you do to it."
"Father all I do is-"
"Fine fine fine... Just hurry along. Our subjects are counting on you."
King Merrik swims off and hurries to fulfill his own duties.
With a sigh Sereia leaves the table and heads back to her room to put her hair up into her signature style, her hair half up in space buns and the rest just loose as it swayed in the current.
After she returned from her room to the throne room, Marrazo the hammerhead shark hurried to her.
"You're majesty!"
"Marrazo, what's wrong?"
"You have a patient that needs you right away!"
With that she quickly swam to the west wing of the palace. A room in the west wing was dedicated to being a sort of infirmary while the rest of the rooms in that wing were available to the creatures that needed to recover from any injuries that had been tended to. Sereia had a gift for tending to injuries of all sorts. From fishing hook removal to tending to broken fins or flippers.
As she burst through the doors, the worried look on her face shifted to one of slight annoyance. Sitting on the bed was a tiger shark merman, gripping his right bicep as blood seeped from between his fingers.