Prologue

If there was one thing Fiona Brandt knew for sure, it was that she would do anything for her brother-- including drive across the country with him and Ricky Wu in a cramped Mini Cooper.

Todd and Fiona are closer than most siblings tend to be, so when Todd's moved up suddenly on the waiting list for his life-saving surgery across the country while their mother is out of town, Fiona takes it upon herself to drive herself and Todd all the way there. Nothing shows someone how much you care like a road trip. The only problem is; Fiona doesn't have a car. But Ricky Wu, the cute guy from the bakery, certainly does.

______________________

        Todd Brant's final day of fourth grade was a boring one. He sat on his own, like usual, let the other kids sign his yearbook, and didn't say much of anything. People were used to the tight-lipped smiles and silent greetings from Todd. He was a polite, calm kid, which often caused him to fade into the background. The louder kids all caught each other's attention, leaving Todd to swim in his own consciousness for the better part of the day.

        On his short walk home, he kicked along an oddly shaped stone, stepped aside for bikers, and looked both ways before crossing the street, greeted on the front porch by his older sister, Fiona, who was typically curled up with a book in the living room upon his arrival. Her presence in the outdoors was an event within itself; Fiona avoided any physical activity that took place outside and avoided things like barbecues, pool parties, and amusement parks. People liked to joke that she was secretly a vampire.

        When Todd reached the top of the steps, standing a respectful distance from Fiona, she handed him an envelope before tucking her chin-length hair behind her ear and crossing her arms. She stood before him as he read the enclosed letter, bare feet pointed towards each other, babydoll dress flowing lightly in the breeze. Todd always admired the simple beauty in his sister, an equally quiet soul with a level of literary eloquence one might expect in a English professor or a middle-aged poet. 

        "My surgery," Todd stated, his tone even. His hands shook a bit, more noticeable with the rustling of the paper in his hands. Fiona nodded numbly. "Mom's gone, isn't she?" he added, glancing grimly at the empty driveway to their left. Their mother often left  without announcing where she was going or when she'd be back. In fact, Ms. Brandt was away from home almost constantly, leaving Fiona and Todd to fend for themselves.

        "Left while we were at school," Fiona mumbled softly, promptly drawing her bottom lip into her mouth following the completion of her statement. She eyed Todd nervously, unsure of what his reaction might be. He was surprisingly calm, for someone that was on a waiting list for a procedure in California for the last four months-- especially when every doctor they'd seen so far insisted that waiting any longer than six months could cost him his life. 

        "If we decline this slot, when's the next available surgery?" Todd asked, shrugging off his backpack and leaning against the railing.

        "They'd just stick you back on the waiting list and jump ahead to the next person in line," Fiona replied, her tone going sharp. She wasn't hot-tempered by any means, but cared deeply for her younger brother, as he was the person she spent the most time with and felt most connected to. "Which is why we're going to California this weekend and you're getting that surgery. We'll stay at  grandma's house, she can sign the forms or something."

        "Fi--"

        "Todd, this isn't a discussion," Fiona stated simply. "Go pack, and I'll make a game plan."