Charlotte

Mommy lays in a white hospital room.

Mommy is sick.

Mitakihara Hospital doctors told her she won't make it.

Mommy is going to die.

I sit by her bed. The machines beep and whirl, making the scene all the more unbearable. I knew from television that when the machine stopped beeping, she was dead. These small beeps just counted down the seconds.

I move a stray white hair on my face behind my ear. I hold my mommy's hand and begin to cry.

Mommy you promised me cheesecake today. You told me were going to buy cheesecake and eat it together. Now we can't do that.

"Hello!" a voice chimed behind me.

I turn around. All I see is a kitty. A white little kitty by the window. His red eyes look at me, no, into my soul. I hid behind my mommy's hospital bed. He was scary.

"I can help you" The voice spoke up again. Who was it?

The cat jumped onto my mommy's bed and walked around a bit, stopping to sit in front of me.

"Just make a contract!" The cat said. The cat was talking to me.

"You can help me?" I asked it. The cat nodded and cocked its head to the side.

"Would you like to make a contract?"

"C-contract?" I repeat. "What kind of contract?"

"You get one wish! After you make a wish, you become a Puella Magi. As a Puella Magi, you fight witches to save the city!" He answered.

"A wish?" I think hard. "I wish I could eat cheesecake with my mommy one last time..."

A small cheesecake in a little plastic case appears in front of me. On top of the cake, a little egg-shaped gem rest. My mommy wakes up, picking up the cake as she came too. I quickly take the pretty egg before it falls.

"Mommy!" I hugged her and cried. She held me in her arms.

"Nagisa." She whispered in my ear, running her weak hand over my hair. "I promised you cheesecake today, didn't I? I can't leave without fulfilling it."  I look up and smile.

"Itadakimasu" Mommy says, holding a spoon. I nod, picking up a spoon as well.

We laughed.

We smiled.

We talked.

But this couldn't last forever. Soon the cheesecake was done. My mommy hugged me one last time before laying down. A long, never-ending beep was heard emanating from the machine.

I felt sad, but at least I had my closure. Tears fell down my eyes as I take it in. She's gone now, but I'll remember her always. I look at the pretty glowing egg. I held it in my hands, going over the little details it's gold case had with my pointer finger.

"You know," the cat returned. "I just thought of a better wish."

"B-better wish?" My voice was shaky.

"You could have cured your mother with your wish." He says.

The pretty gem didn't seem to glow anymore. It looked a little black.

"Even better! You could have cured the whole world of that disease! How great would that be?" He continues.

"T-The whole entire world?" Tears fall again.

I feel my sanity slipping.

I then begin to laugh. "I am so stupid! The heheh WHOLE hehehahaHA WORLD, RID OF CANCER! HAHAHA!" The gem in my hand is no longer glowing. It's all black now. I hear a crack. The cat jumps out the window. He is the last thing I ever see.

That was a good cheesecake. I really wish my mommy could have enjoyed it more.

Oh well. It was a good cheesecake anyway.

__________

Somewhere outside of Mitakihara hospital, a group of sweets walked along the path.

The strawberry spots me. A little gem stuck in the crack of the wall. I have enough strawberries.

The blueberry speaks of another fruit that might get bruised because I'm there. Why should it matter? I can make all the fruits and sweets I want!

Oh look!

A yummy cheesecake! I can't make cheesecake anymore!

Itadakimasu!