Prologue

WE LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE WE ALWAYS HAVE TO touch something. Either our feet have to stand on the ground or the floor, or else out butts have to sit on something, or our whole bodies must lie on something. Or we can be attached to some strings or a parachute. I have never understood why that is. What is the big difference between that something and air? I suppose science has an answer to that, with gravity and all, but I don't really know. I mean, of course I believe in science. Theories need proof, after all, to count as science. The touching thing is one of these things that are so obvious that we don't even give them a thought. There are a lot more ones too. For example, you have the rule that says once a nerd, always a nerd. We have the fact that school is a living hell for everyone who is not popular. There's the one saying that parents are overprotective, and the one saying teachers are always to trust. There's the one saying that once you get something you have been struggling to get, the excitements ends.

I believed in all these rules. They were facts, reality, and important parts of every day. They defined me. But that was before I met Jade. Everyone keeps saying that nothing ever last forever. It is one of those rules as well, the ones that are too obvious to consider fake. The difference is: that one actually is not worth considering, because that is true. Nothing lasts forever. I know how easy it is to take it that love doesn't die, all that crap. It's just not the truth. Everything dies, even if it is so-called immortal or infinite. And facts aren't forever either. Not most of them, anyway. Not gravity. Not always.

And there are metaphors as well. There are a lot of them. We think that if we turn confusing thoughts into clear images, then that will make it easier to understand. I like using them in creative writing, because they give bonus points. But I don't like the though of simplifying thoughts. Some things should stay complicated, out of reach, far away from understanding. A lot of things should.