Chapter One - A fresh start?

She glanced outside the window , the cool air hitting her face. A few times stared at the open road, the busy streets and the restaurants lined up.

She wandered if she was finally going to get the freedom she long desired after the incident that happened three years ago.

Esme never let it go, never once did she forget about it. It was her fault, and she didn't doubt it.

"Darling?", Her mother called from the passengers seat, looking over her daughter with a worried look glued to her face.

"Are you alright?"

Esme nodded, though she didn't really pay attention to the question. She was more focused on what this new life and town would give her.

But Gwen didn't look forward. She knew her daughter too much to know when she was troubled. Gwen never let Esme out of her sight after the incident that happened three years ago.

"Honey...", Her husband warned softly. He knew his wife, she would not let it go no matter what. But he also knew his daughter. Though she was kind and soft, she was also stubborn and strong headed.

"Let her be. She'll be fine", he assured his wife while rubbing her wrist with his thumb.

Gwen sighed. Deciding to listen to her husband. She stole one last glance at Esme who was too lost in her own thoughts to hear them.

Please.....I want a fresh start.

Esme silently prayed.

(#)(#)(#)(#)(#)(#)(#)(#)(#)

They finally arrived at their new home. It was quiet, at least Esme thought. Helping  her father get the bags from the car, Gwen opened the door to the house and watched as they took their things in.

"Is that everything?", Rick asked and Esme nodded.

"Let's get in shall we", Esme took one glance at the house, sighed and followed her parents in.

********------------********

Esme laid on her bed, facing the ceiling and earbuds in her ears. She was listening to her favorite song, "Shattered" when her mom called for her from the living room.

She couldn't hear her because of the earbuds.

Gwen, knowing her daughter fully well, rolled her eyes and stomped up to her room. She opened the door and caught Esme staring at the ceiling. Completely oblivious to her surroundings and she sighed.

She's broken.

She thought. Esme was a cheerful girl. Someone who never forgot  to smile. But now.....She was the complete opposite.

Esme finally turned and caught her mom staring at her and she unplugged her earbuds.

"Is dinner ready?" She asked, knowing that would be the only reason for her mom coming up to her room.

Gwen opened her mouth to speak, but she just nodded. She couldn't trust anything that would come out of her mouth for the time being.

"Okay. I'll be down in a minute", Esme replied with a weak voice before plugging in her earbuds again.

Gwen just stayed there for a few seconds before leaving her daughter to her thoughts.

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'••••••°°°°°°

"What school?", Gwen asked her husband wide eyed and he sighed. Rick just told them about  enrolling Esme in a school.

"It's a private school honey. It'll be safer for Esme.", He advised but Gwen bit her lip nervously. Still pondering over the news.

"Esme...?", Rick called out softly to Esme who kept staring at her plate and untouched food. She slowly looked up from the food and landed her gaze on her father.

"What do you think?", He asked with a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

Esme was quiet. She didn't know what to say.
Was it a good idea?
Would she feel better and better in a private school?

She didn't find the strength in her to talk so she just nodded hesitantly at her father.

Rick's face fell. He expected her to reply. He knew she too wasn't so sure about it. And he hated seeing his daughter this way.

"I'm done. I'm going to bed", Esme announced weakly before getting up from the chair which scraped loudly on the tiled floor.

"But you didn't even touch your food", Gwen complained, looking at the food and then back at her daughter.

"I did.....But not much", Esme lied, and without another word, walked up to her room and closed the door behind her.

Esme hoped for a fresh start in this new town.
But she was beginning to lose hope in ever getting one.

••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••

What do you think guys?
Good or nah?

Please do not forget to vote and comment what you think about the story so far🙏

Thanks.