prologue

"Excuse me?"

The woman at the desk eyes me. "Yes?"

"I have an appointment with Mr. Evans at one."

She sighs. "Name?"

I smile smugly. "Claire Davis."

Her face immediately reddens. "Of course. Right this way."

She leads me down a long hallway until we reach a set of double doors and knocks. I hear a muffled "come in," and she enters. 

"Your one o'clock is here," the receptionist says.

Mr. Evans nods and dismisses her, gesturing me to sit down. He folds his hands on his large desk. "How have you been, Claire? It's been quite a few years. You're all grown up now."

I smile. "I've been great. How about you?"

He nods. "The same can be said about me. Now, onto business. As you know, your father and I have been speaking, and we have both think it best that you work for me. You'll technically be working for me, but seeing as I travel often, you will primarily be dealing with Beckett."

I furrow my brows. "Beckett?"

Mr. Evans looks slightly surprised. "My son. Have you two never met?"

I shake my head. "No, sir. We haven't."

He looks at me inquisitively. "Interesting... Well, you'll meet him tomorrow. We work Monday through Friday from eight-thirty to four-thirty. You will report here every morning. Do you have any questions?"

I think for a moment. "Yes, actually. Can you keep my, um, familial ties just to us? I don't want anyone treating me special just because my father is Samuel Davis."

Mr. Evans smiles at me. "Of course, Claire. If that's everything, then you're free to leave."

I stand and shake his hand. "Thank you, Mr. Evans. I'll see you tomorrow."

When I finally get back downstairs I grab a taxi and make my way back home.