Chapter 1

Josh was leaning against Maddie's locker, waiting for her to get out of basketball practice. She would stop to pick up her homework like she did after every practice. She never got it out of her locker before, because she was always so eager to get to practice and fit in some warm up shots.

Diggie entered the foyer, determined to talk to Maddie about the picture he had seen of her and find out who she was with. He sighed as he got closer to her locker and recognized the guy from the picture. He walked up to him quietly.

"Waiting for Maddie?" Diggie asked.

"Yeah, I'm taking her out to McGrady's." Josh replied, grinning. "She loves McGrady's."

"Yeah, I know." Diggie stated bluntly.

"You here to see someone?" Josh asked.

"Yeah, I am. Maddie."

Realization hit Josh and his face shifted into seriousness.

"You must be Diggie."

"Yeah, thats right. How do you know about me?"

"Liv mentioned you once or twice. I work with her on Voltage."

"Yeah, I've seen the show."

"You like it?"

"It's alright. What uh,...what did Liv tell you?"

"Enough."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing."

Josh was trying to keep his cool and didn't want to start anything that might upset Maddie. He would try to end this peaceably. Diggie had no interest in dropping the conversation.

"Whatever. So you and Maddie, huh? How did that happen?"

"Well...I was here, she was here. Liv introduced us when I was new and looking for friends. Maddie and I were the finalists for Cowbell Week and she totally destroyed me. She's got fire. Anyway, I saw her again on the set when Liv brought her by and I was just...hooked, you know? I took every chance I could to see her and get to know her, even if she didn't know it to begin with."

"What do you mean?"

"I told her I was shooting a big basketball scene for the show and needed a coach to help me nail down a one-on-one match with an alien masquerading as a teacher."

"She bought that?"

"She sure did and man is she a great teacher. Her passion is just so contagious. Oh, and her dad helped me out too."

"Mr. Rooney?"

"Yeah! Great guy, super nice."

"Pete-Prime-Time-Maddie's-protective-dad-Rooney?"

"Yeah, I asked him how to get a girl to like me and he gave me some great advice. Even helped me know exactly what to do about Maddie."

"What did he tell you?"

"Find out what she likes and do it. Tree house horse was his suggestion. Terrifying as hell, but it was so worth it. And then he said I was his man."

Josh smirked, hoping to get an upper hand through sharing Maddie's dads approval of him. He could see that the direction the conversation went in was definitely getting under Diggie's skin.

"What? All he's ever done is make fun of me!"

"I don't know anything about that. Mr. Rooney is a great guy and he has a fantastic beard! So wizard like and wise looking."