23

Frances
Present

•••

Irene was in the kitchen, cooking up what she was planning to make for dinner. Billie sat next to me, an arm around my shoulder, my head was leaned against his shoulder.

My dad conversed with Mike about who knows what, The twins, Billie, and Tre all were talking about music.

Billie would look down at me once in a while, I could see a smile on his face from the corner of my eye.

This all felt too forced. I was trying to force myself back into loving him. I was trying to force myself to try and feel what I felt for him.

It made me uncomfortable, but, I also wanted to do everything like I used to, I wanted to live my normal life again, even if I didn't remember any of it.

I heard a faint knock on the door, Billie getting ready to get up.

"I want to answer it." I told him, softly. "Frances, you're going to-'' I cut him off by pecking his cheek, hoping he'll shut up.

"I'm getting it." I said, getting up. Limping towards the door. "Frances, use the crutches." My father warned, "You're going to hurt yourself!" He warned again.

"I'm fine, dad. I want to start walking again. Just let me, please." I almost beg him. "Just be careful, Franny." He tells me as I keep walking to the door.

Through the stain glassed part of the door, I see a woman, a sweater around her figure.

I open to door, to see Ollie standing on the other side.

She looks up, her eyes softening. She gasps, holding her hands up to grab my face. "Oh, my beautiful Fran." She gasps, her eyes tearing up.

"I'm so relieved you're okay. I don't know how we would have survived around here without you." She engulfs me into a hug, closing the door behind her.

She cries a little, rubbing my back. "Hi, Ollie. I'm okay." I tell her, drawing circles on her back. "I know, I know." She cries a little more.

"Frances who's at the door?" I hear Billie ask. He stops, realizing who knocked. "Mom, hi." Billie says, walking over to us.

"Hello, hon." She says, pulling out of my embrace. She greets him with a quick hug, before turning over to face him.

"How are you doing?" She asks, rubbing my cheek with her soft hand.

"I'm okay, a little confused here and there but overall, okay." I smile, her eyes twinkling.

"That's good, that you're okay." She said.

I winced a little, my ankle getting hurt by the pressure I was putting on it.

"80," Billie quickly went to my side, holding me.

"I'm okay, I'm okay. Please Billie." I wince, my ankle hurting. My eyes squeezing shut.

"Baby, c'mon." Billie cooed, picking me up bridal style, taking me to the room.

"Rest it a little, I'll help you back when dinner is ready." He said, placing me on the bed.

"Billie, stay with me please." I whimpered.

"O-okay." Billie stammered, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

He was awkward, he was stiff. He wanted more, he wanted me.

"Billie, look." I said, rolling to my side to face him. "I want to act as if this never happened, please. Act like normal. Treat me how you would usually treat me. I know it's difficult with what happened." I paused.

"Losing the baby, my memory, the way things have changed. I just don't want to remember any of that. Please, I want to live again." Tears leaving my eyes.

"Promise me, please." I begged.

"Frances, I-'' I cut him off, tears rushing down my face. "Promise me." I told him again.

"I promise, 80. I promise." He said, moving a little towards me. "I'm still me, I'm still here. Don't treat me any differently." I whispered, pulling his hand closer to me.

"Lay with me." I whispered.

He nodded, quickly but carefully, he moved next to me.

He rubbed the tears out of my eyes, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"My 80." He whispered, pulling me closer to him.

"I love you." He kissed my lips.

Nothing, again. I felt nothing.

Sooner or later, maybe, I'll develop some feelings. I have to. I need to.

I kissed his cheek, my eyes closing, drifting to sleep.