Take Me Away

It was another restless night of drinks, yelling, and hitting. By the time I escaped the house, I had a swollen jaw, and a broken heart. I fled downtown, only to my luck had it started pouring. I saw the nerds retreat to comic/video game stores, while the hipsters found shelter in the local cafés. Unfortunately, I didn't belong in either classification, and wounded up in an old diner. I slid my soaking wet body into a vinyl booth, as a waiter scrambled over with a plastic menu. He ran a rather large hand through his messy hair, before talking to me.

"Would a beautiful lady like you be interested in ordering a drink first?" I felt the corner of my mouth quirk up, and I nodded.

"Coffee, if you don't mind," The waiter laughed, and adjusted his thick rimmed glasses.

"Of course I don't," He jotted my order down in a tiny notepad, and left as quickly as he came. The smile was wiped off my face, and I sighed heavily. I buried my face into my sweatered arms, taking in the lavender scent.

"Here's your coffee, miss. With a side of company," The waiter put down a saucer of the dark substance, and sat across from me.

"Aren't, aren't you supposed to be working?"

"If only there were people," He chuckled.

"I'm Toby. My dad runs this place, and I'm only here for extra help," The waiter pushed my coffee closer to me. "I think this tastes better hot."

"Yea-yeah. I'm Elle, by the way," I said quietly, stirring a packet of sugar into my drink.

"Elle. What a fitting name for a fitting person. Now, how about we ditch this old diner, and find something else to cheer you up?" Toby stood up, offering a hand to me. I took it hesitantly, then fished my pocket for a five dollar bill to put on the table. I've already lost everything, what else could I possibly end up losing?