When You Encounter Him

Leonardo

You were tired. Not 'I just got out of bed' tired either. You were dead tired. You felt like you might pass out at any moment. Just one more step and you would be asleep on the ground. That's how tired you were.

You were an incredibly hard-working teenage girl. At 16, you already had two jobs and all the AP classes you could take. Your nights were spent either doing homework or waiting tables, and neither allowed you much sleep. Even on the weekends, you worked until eight in the morning until seven at night. It was never-ending for you, and you felt like a zombie. Often times, you'd stay awake for three or four days at a time, and only get a few hours of sleep when you finally crashed. You'd have aching chest pains and incredibly weak legs and arms. That's how bad it was.

On a particularly boring Monday afternoon, the one day you didn't have to work, you started down the sidewalk towards your apartment building. Your car was currently being used by your mother, who had wrecked hers a couple months back. You didn't have money for a cab either, so walking was the only option anyways.

As you walked, you realized just how late it was when you left school. You stayed after school to catch up on some homework paper that was due the next day, and you had apparently stayed until five thirty, an hour-and-a-half after school had ended. The sun was already getting close to setting, and the night-terrors would be emerging soon.

You quickened your pace, trying to at least make it to the nearest populated area. However, the further you went, the fewer people were around. By the time it was six o'clock, you were the only person on the streets.

You weren't sure if it was the paranoid part of your brain that made this decision or the part that was sleep-deprived, but you found yourself climbing up the nearest fire-escape ladder and onto a random building. You weren't even sure of where you were anymore. All you knew was that nobody in their right minds would think to look for you up here. But why up here? Why didn't you just keep walking home? You've never felt like this when you walked home on other days. What made today so different?

Before you knew it the sun had set and nighttime took over the sky, filling it with stars and a glowing half-moon. As you stared up at the sky, you suddenly began to forget about your other worries. Soon enough, the feeling of dread was replaced with a sort of strange calm. It was like you had just gotten drunk without any beer or wine. You felt drowsy and wide-awake all at once. You didn't even pay attention to the approaching footsteps behind you. You just focused your stare onto that glowing half-moon in the sky.

You only averted your gaze when you felt a hand on your shoulder. Strangely enough, you didn't freak out at the fact that it was a three-fingered hand and covered in a rough green layer of skin. You stared at the hand for a long minute before finally following the attached arm up to the owner's face.

His face was very much like his hand, but it had a nose, a mouth, and a set of eyes instead of three fingers. The eyes were a bright baby blue that shone brightly in the dim moonlight, and the mask was a much darker shade, almost making the eyes glow brighter. You glanced down at his body, your eyes slowly scanning his thick-plated chest and scaly muscled arms.

He was incredibly tall, probably about seven foot. He had to lean down just to be able to touch you properly. His face was full of concern.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" He asked, his hand firm on your shoulder. His voice was deep and masculine, yet still had that younger tone to it. He didn't sound much older than you, but you weren't sure.

"Depends...Who's asking?" You asked in return, your words melding together and coming out almost as a slur. You went to stand up, but as you did, something in your brain clicked. Then, as a wave of exhaustion washed over you, something grabbed your wrist. The last thing you could remember was seeing the strange face of the creature leaning over you. Then, your world slipped into darkness.