Everytime

Simon drummed his fingers on his knees his breathing slow, his body language said it all, making it obvious to everyone like a giant banner above his head stating 'WORRIED' In giant capital bold lettering. Luckily no one was around to see him freaking out. He would never admit it anyway as he knew Baz didn't feel the same.

Baz had left to go hunting 3 hours ago and since then Simons nerves had been building up, he sprang up off the bed and reached for the door to tell Agatha Baz was missing but as soon as his fingers touched the brass door handle it turned and in swaggered in a sleek looking Baz, his skin flaking slightly as his pale chin exaggerated the two dents where the tips of his teeth rested. He smiled a toothy smile, literally.

Simon froze by the door, embarrassed before coming to his senses and springing back.

"Someone's excited to see me," he smirked moving forwards into the room, Simon quickly shook his head, his face face bright red as he hurried back over to his own bed.

"Don't flatter yourself," he hid his face a little by looking at the floor. "I was going to see Penelope..."

Baz took a bite out of the apple in his hand.

"Simon I know you well enough to know when you're lying." he smiled.

"No you don't, you know nothing about me." Simon said, annoyed getting up and returning to the door, it was stupid to have waited all this time.

"Wait," Baz said and Simon sensed a sudden hint of weakness in his voice.

Simon spun round on the heel of his foot, fighting to keep the annoyed look on his face but one look at Baz's hurt expression was enough to make Simon fall to his knees, luckily he kept his stance. His expression wavered but stayed.

"I know more than you think"

"No you don't" Simon snorted.

"No I do"

"Prove it then" Simon asked and Baz stood up, taking a step towards Simon taking another bite of his apple.

"I know you like Agatha" Baz said.

Simon laughed "yeah but everyone likes Agatha"

"Fair play" he paused before slowly continuing "I know that every morning you slide your hair to the left then change your mind and switch it back before I wake up" Simons turned more toward Baz his eyes wary. Baz just smiled having successfully got Simons attention

"I know you talk in your sleep, I know you talk during movies, I know you spent the whole week before I took Agatha to the ball practicing dancing and getting up the nerves to ask her out" Simons eyes widened.

"You saw that?"

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone" Baz insisted.

"But you hate me, why would you keep that secret?" Simon asked curiously, taking a step towards Baz so they were even closer.

"Because...because" Baz stalled, "cause I thought taking your crush was enough" He said but Simon knew he was lying.

"Really?" Simon said unconvinced.

"Yeah...totally" Baz said trying to sound casual.

Simon sensed that he was uncomfortable so changed the subject. "tell me what else you know about me" he said gently, taking another small step towards him so now they was only one step between them.

"I know that you snore and that you have a fear of heights" he continued but Simons interrupted.

"Wait how do you know that? I've never told anyone that" He asked.

"Just one look at your face when your broom lifts off the ground and its obvious even to the troll in the tower" Baz said rolling his eyes.

"If its so obvious then how come nobody has asked me about it?" Simon asked and Baz inhaled deeply, before saying something he never thought he would muster up the courage to say.

"Because no one else has ever looked at you like I have" He said expecting Simon to move back and run off but instead he shuffled closer.

Encouraged Baz continued "No one else has ever got to know you like I have, you said it yourself, nobody has ever watched you tie your school tie and go right over left first then curse and undo it cause it was meant to be left over right. No one else noticed that you always trip on the 17th stair on the grand staircase or on the 5th to the mages office, every time" Simon moved closer and brushed a tear forming under Baz's eyelid away with his thumb.

"No one else has ever noticed that your eyes glint when you see magic cause you're still amazed it exists, no one has ever seen that when you laugh your ears fold back a little and you turn your head to the left slightly" Simon took Baz's hand in his and Baz smiled, tears now staining his cheeks.

"And the worst part is that no one has ever noticed that....that I have noticed all these things, that I actually care about you, that I, I, I..." he stammered his smile faltering as he began to cry. Simon leant forward and pressed his lips to Baz's.

Simon pulled away after a few seconds and Baz's eyes gleamed before Simon whispered.

"I'm so glad I'm not the only one"

They kissed again then Simon whispered.

"The 5th and the 17th every time?"

Baz laughed.

"Every time" He nodded then leant forward into Simons arms.

A year later.

Simon took Baz's hand as they were walking to breakfast reaching the staircase they chatted about flying and how to meet up in the summer then when they reached the 17th step Simon stumbled like usual, but this time Baz was there to catch him and Simon fell into him gratefully.

"Every time" they said together then laughed before continuing into the great hall.

"You never told me why you really took Agatha to the ball when you knew that I had been putting so much effort" Simon pondered squeezing Baz's hand, Baz grinned back at him.

"I couldn't bear to see you with somebody else Simon, being in love with you but never telling anyone hurt enough" Baz said not at all embarrassed like he would of been last year. Simon liked Baz when he was like this, when he was confident and trusted Simon with every part of him and wasn't ashamed of anything. Simon like to think this was because he was beginning to see the amazing person Simon saw and knew that nothing could change Simons feelings for him, he was always safe with Simon. He was always home.