1. Do NOT expect not to be called dork.

o n e

  I gently touch the small plant before picking the beans on them and throwing them into a bucket. I have about a million of these plants, all different kinds. After all Dad did say I have a green thumb just like my mother. 

  After I'm done picking the plants and watering them, I pick up the bucket and casually start back to my house. I love walking down these streets in West Virginia because I found a place surrounded by nature and the scenery it truly is really breathtaking. I pick up my camera from around my neck and snap a few pictures of the flowers and the unsuspecting birds in the trees before I continue my walk. 

"Hey, nice overalls, dork!"

I jerk my head to the sound of what I know to be THE most obnoxious guy in the entire world. Blaine frickle frackin Henderson.

"What, you aren't gonna smart off today?" he asked me, his arms crossed against his chest.

"No, Blaine. You don't deserve my smartness."

"O-o-oh here we go!" he said, as if he knew exactly what I was about to do. Maybe he did? I actually now assume he does. I see him everyday and this happens all the time so maybe he knows I'm about to give him attitude..? I decide for a different plan today.

I punch him in the stomach. HARD.

"Were you expecting THAT?" I shouted as he let out a groan.

"Halfway." he wheezed out. I couldn't help but laugh at his pain. Man, I'm sick. I took his slow recovery as my chance to make a break for it, because for all I know he could hurt me. I've never actually punched THE Blaine Henderson before. Sometimes I think he's way too popular and attractive to be talking to me, just Plain Penelope. Wait, what the frick doodle did I just say?

As I made my way down the street it became much more crowded with people I'm fluent with. I saw Margo Paige, Jamie Lee, ooh, and Patrick. I think it's so wonderful to live in a town where everyone knows everyone. Heck, I open my front door and there's always people I know walking down the street. Plus everyone's always so friendly.

The door was already open to "MARCEE'S Outdoor Galore" so I strode into the small shop, feeling the little breeze of the fan to my right. That fan always make's me forget what I'm doing when I go into the shop on a terribly hot summer day, such as this one. 

"Penelope! What have ya got for me today, sweetheart?" Marcee said as I walked up to her desk.

"Ah, Ms. Marcee, looking as gorgeous as ever on this day. I brought you some of those beans from the garden again. You know they just keep piling up!" 

"Oh Nelly, you always are so sweet to me. Thanks for the beans, I know you got enough of 'em over at Rivette's and this heat that's making 'em rack up! Weather like this's good for them beans. Uncommon little plants you got over at your garden-''

Suddenly, me comprehending her words stopped when I saw him. Parker O'Malley, aka, the guy I've been in love with since, well, practically my whole life, walked in the door. Long story short our parents knew each when were babies and we always played together until like 2nd grade when he got uber cute and I got uber weird. Ever since then I've been in love with him and his spiked little hairstyle.  

My thoughts were cut short with Ms. Marcee snapping her old hands in front of me. 

"Hello? You look like you're drooling a little, darling," she said with a short wink my way and then she turned her attention to Parker.

"Why hello Mr. P-" I cut Ms. Marcee off which I realized might have been a bit rude..

"H-Hi Parker!" Dang it. Too enthusiastic, Nelly. I mentally slapped myself and hope he didn't get weirded out.

"Uh, hi Penny." he said kind of shocked at my outburst. There it is. That nickname that makes me melt to the floor right where I am. I feel hearts in my eyes and stars going round my head. He can make me weak with a few words and yet I'm so nervous around him. Am I weird?

"Did you hear me?" Parker said, a little annoyed. 

"Oh-uh-I-what did you say again? Sorry," I laughed nervously, "I, uh, can't hear too well."

"Nothing, Penny," he sighed. Oh, snap, there goes my thoughts always ruining everything for me again

"So, uh, Ms. Marcee as you were saying.."

"You just go ahead and get on home darling, thank you for the beans," she smiled then whispered to me, "You might want to keep your mouth closed, you might get some flies in there."

I replied with a quick "Yes ma'am, thank you ma'am." 

"Bye Parker." I said silently, after all I was a little embarrassed.

"Goodbye, Penny."

I tried to scurry out of the shop but ended up tripping over my own two feet. Great. I quickly stood back up and ran out of the door shouting "I'm fine!"

I sighed in relief and hunched my shoulders. Well, that could've gone better. 

Just as I was about to get lost in my own thoughts again, a tiny whisper and heat blowing on my neck nearly made me jump out of my own skin.

"Hey, dork."

Yikes.