"When You Wake Up"

She's different. Unlike any other person in this world, she sees the world differently. My name is Tristan and I'm in love with Rogue, the girl of my dreams.

I met her 2 years ago in an old beautiful playground. She was sitting on a swing-set. The other swing was empty so I sat next to her and asked "Hello, my name is Tristan. What's your name?", she looked up the blue sky and smiled "Ever wonder how the world really works? Because, sometimes I think that this world is only a sweet dream, that we were bound to wake up at any moment and just say 'It was a beautiful dream.'".

Is this girl some kind of reincarnation of Buddha or something? I thought. I looked at her, puzzled.

"My name's Rogue." she finally said. When she turned towards me, I started to stutter. She looked like an angel. I was so speechless that I stared at her for a moment and then I realized that she was already waving goodbye. Mindlessly, I waved back too and then she left. I sat there, hoping that she would come back tomorrow.

The next day, I ran to the old playground where I met Rogue. There was no one on the play ground when I got there. So I decided to pick some flowers for her. A minute later I heard her call "Tristan!" behind me. I turned to her holding the flowers when- "AAACHOO!" Then she burst out laughing and rolled herself on the grass. I gave her the flowers and lay next to her. "Tris, you're really cute when you're speechless. But you're much cuter when you're sneezing." What?! H-how did she know that I- "Looks like you're doing it again" Rogue said, cutting my thoughts. "It's really hard to hide things from you, you know?" I confessed. "That's possibly why you're the only friend I have" she sighed.

Days, weeks, and months have passed we still met on the same old playground. We chased each other, laughed and talked about almost everything. As the time passed, I fell and fell and then fell deeper for her every tick of a second. I want her to know how I feel. I want her to know that I'm in love with her. I want the world to know that I'm in love with her. "Rogue, I have something to tell you tomorrow" I said as I waved goodbye to her. She smiled a small smile and waved back saying "I have something to tell you too."

The next day, I went to the playground a bit earlier than I used to so I could pick up some flowers for her. Then, it rained. But this weather cannot stop me from telling Rogue how I feel I told myself. I sat there on the swing still holding the flowers waiting for the girl I love. 15, 30, 50 minutes have passed still no sign from Rogue. I started to worry, and then she came. She was holding an umbrella. I stood up and rushed to her then hugged her tight. "I thought you weren't going to come." I said while holding the back of her head. "I'm so sorry I made you wait" then she hugged me back tightly.

We just stood there hugging for a while then at the same time we said "What are you going to tell me?" then the both of us laughed. Then she told me I should go first so I said "Rogue, do you still remember the first time we met and you said that 'This world is only a sweet dream, that we're bound to wake-up at any moment and say 'It was a beautiful dream'? Well, if this is a dream, and I'm going to wake up soon, I want to tell you that I will not waste a second of this dream not to be with you. Because Rogue, I am in love with you. And I am not in the business of denying myself from falling in love with you. This love is worth it, Rogue. And I am hoping you would give it a chance. I love you, Rogue."

She looked at me thoughtfully and said "I was waiting all this time for you to tell me. I was waiting for you to confess how you really feel. Because Tris, I was afraid you wouldn't feel the same thing. I was afraid to get hurt because, I'm the one who's about to wake up from this sweet dream, Tris." I looked at her puzzled, "What are you talking about-". Rogue cut me off "I was late because my parents tried to prevent me from coming here. They don't want me to go because I have a fatal heart failure. My days in this sweet dream of ours is about to vanish, Tris. I'm about to wake-up from this beautiful dream and I want you to be the last person I'll see. You are the only person I want to remember after I wake-up." This... this can't be happening, I thought as I try to understand why this was happening to me, to us. "Rogue, I'll give you my own heart if I have to. Just please, don't wake-up from this beautiful dream. Please, I-". She cut me off again. "I cannot let you do that, because I am not most qualified person to undergo a heart surgery. This is what we get and there's nothing we can do about it, Tris." I was shattered when I heard her say the last words. I didn't ask her how long she kept this from me. She was smart enough to make sure that each day we've spent was a beautiful dream for her to remember. As the days went on, Rogue grew weaker. We don't chase each other anymore. We never laughed again and we barely even talk. But despite those things, I never left Rogue. We just lay on the grass and stared at what the world has to offer. Then I turned to her and said, "Rogue, when you wake up, I want you to know that I will be there. Maybe not now, not tomorrow or the next few years but, we'll live together, love each other, get married, have kids and there's nothing that could come between us. I'm thankful for this beautiful dream, Rogue. And if you wake-up and forget this dream... I will always be there to remind you, Rogue. I love you." Rogue smiled then closed her eyes, and they never opened again.