1. Now and Then

Police sirens. Breaking into the house. It had all been a big blur. Two policemen had escorted me into the backseat of a police car before driving off to the public mall.

"Where are you taking me?" I could hear my heartbeat speed up by the second. Why are they doing this?

My breath hitches, all the blood ran cold in my body when I heard those single words. "To see your mother."

"W-what happened to her?"

The policeman in the passenger seat sighs. "The question is more what did she do?"

A hand flies to my mouth to stop my sobs. I crawl up into a ball and cry silently. My mom was my whole world! After dad had left us...I had no idea what to do. Would I become an orphan?

Oh God. Would I have to live on the streets?

The car suddenly stops and the door to my right opens. The lights from the mall blinds me for a second as I step out of the dark car, out into the darker world.

"Don't take her away! Please, I'm the only one she understands!" mom frantically shouts. She was being restrained by four policemen with bloody cuts and bruises all over her body.

The policemen shake their head, "No ma'am, I'm sorry to say but she's going to move in with your sister. Okay? She'll be fine, we'll make sure of that. I'm truly sorry," a policeman shakes his head.

"Please, I'm begging you! You don't understand!" mom pleads.

A hand places on my shoulder, making me jump. I look up to see my aunt Kristine and her husband, Daniel. I knew I couldn't push Kris's hand away; even if that was the only thing I wanted at the moment.

Another policeman puts a hand on her head and shoved her into the backseat of his police car. "You're going to jail, no matter what ma'am. But we'll make sure you can check in with your daughter sometime."

Mom kept screaming and shouting, but I stayed in my aunt's arms.

"Elena was always a troubled girl. I always knew she would end up in prison. But I didn't know"—my aunt looked at me—"she would ever have a daughter."

"Kristie, we need to go," Daniel warns. Kris nods and she motions for me to get into the car. I look out the window once I get inside, but I don't see the police car that mom was taken into. If she knew she could be caught, why did she steal? Didn't she know the consequences and still risk it? Did anyone actually care about me?

I buckle up and sigh softly as I gaze out the window.

"Cheer up, Emily.  You're in good hands now," Daniel smiles at me from the passenger seat. I shake my head.

"I was in good hands with my mom. Didn't you know?" I mumble. Daniel and Kris always thought the lowest of my mom because she was struggling. While she was trying to take care of me—like she claims—Daniel and Kris were probably booking a flight to Hawaii or anywhere luxurious, having the time of their lives.

Kris starts the car, and we drive out of the mall's parking lot. This wasn't how my weekend was supposed to go. Mom and I were going to have fun, she wanted to treat me because my birthday would be tomorrow, but she just had to steal a diamond necklace from Jewelers. Yeah...she's a thief. And she can't help it. No one can help a habit, but hers...mom's habit is illegal.

I sigh again and close my eyes, all the anxiety I had just went through had taken a big toll on me.

"What are you hiding?" my six-year-old self giggles at my mom. I always knew when she was trying to hide something because she had a look on her face and she was awful at hiding.

"Alright, I'll show you early since you might as well have figured it out," mom chuckles before leading me to the kitchen. Waiting there on the table was a double chocolate cake with whipped cream in the middle and the top.

"Happy early birthday!" mom shouts excitedly.

"It's amazing!" my eyes grow as wide as saucers. I look back and forth between the cake and mom.

"Of course you can eat it," she smiles warmly at me like I was the most precious thing in the world. "Just don't eat too much — and save some for me; I'll have a slice tomorrow."

"Yes!" I rush over to hug her, my height barely up to her stomach. "Thank you so much!"

She just continues to smile as she strokes my raven black hair softly. "I love you, my little blackbird."